Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #1: Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee

Loss

I loved the story behind Dundee repeatedly going for the figure-four and Lawler repeatedly finding his way to the ropes, and Dundee having to adapt and find other ways to work on the leg.

Nearly fifteen minutes in, and a desperate Lawler begins busting out the foreign object, and Lawler's a master at hiding it from the referee and garnering heel heat out of it.

Both men throw some of the best punches in the business. Dundee is very underrated in that regard.

The "NWA representative" stepping in and attempting to stop the match only to give in at Dundee's pleading helps put Dundee's heart over, and it gives Lawler an out to set up yet another rematch that's sure to draw a crowd. Excellent booking all around.

Awesome contest.

It also helps that I love heel Lawler and prefer Dundee as a face, which automatically makes the match ten times better in my eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Dundee's figure four attempts and Lawler frantically trying to fight him off was great stuff early on. The stalling was rather excessive near the start, but the match got a lot better starting from that point. Lawler's onslaught before and after the restart was incredible. It was a nonstop barrage of vicious punches, and if anything warranted a stoppage, that would have been it. Dundee's selling was really quite good throughout, but especially here. Unfortunately, the ending was awful. From a logical and dramatic standpoint, I didn't buy idea that Lawler had taken enough damage to be pinned, especially after lying around for a bit. It was a flat ending to what was otherwise a really good match.

I said in the Bret/Kid thread that I really like matches that are stopped and restarted because it makes it feel like a big event, and that worked perfectly here. Lawler unloading on Dundee after the restart was incredible. It's how guys can work a match this great around very little more than punches. Love the spot where Dundee was on his knees, Lawler was walking towards him, and Dundee suddenly turned around with a huge punch and Lawler's beautiful bump off it.