Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-05-19-WWE-Money in the Bank] Seth Rollins vs A.J. Styles

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [2019-05-19-WWE-Money in the Bank] Seth Rollins vs A.J. Styles

They had the usual Seth Rollins workrate match w/ bombs, counters & nearfalls galore, but I'll give credit where it's due, as they made it look a lot more interesting than oh so many others. Rollins actually surprised me with how impactful & vicious he made his usually-shitty offense look - he definitely matched AJ in that department here, and that is something I wasn't expecting. I even really liked that inverted superplex -> falcon arrow spot that I always dislike when he does it normally. AJ of course brought it on the offense too & made all of Rollins' stuff look extra good w/ his legendary bumping & selling. So yeah, technically this match was pretty great indeed, but I just didn't care about its layout at all. Like I said, it was your usual Rollins workrate match, and matches of that & this kind just don't do it for me, unless I am truly invested in the participants or something, I guess. That is why I can't give it much love, but I acknowledge & appreciate the fact (in my eyes anyway) that they took a very dull match layout & made it look more interesting than it would've been in most other cases. **1/4

• 1 month later...

The early part of the match was fine, the obligatory standoffish stuff. But once they began actually trying to win, it got better. I loved Seth actually throwing himself into his topes rather than the usual push suicide dives that he does, which usually look awful. Seth doing the Kawada kicks surprised me. They didn't look good but I appreciate the effort took to try something different, at least. Then the match turned into the usual Seth match match which doesn't do anything for me but AJ's great selling keeps me into it. The counter into the Styles clash was slick like butter, but of course, it doesn't finish the match. But one thing that stands out is both guys great chemistry together. Fully expect more matches from this pair. And I kinda like that idea. Good match but it really doesn't scream out GREAT to me. ***1/4