Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-06-01-WWE-NXT TakeOver: XXV] Street Profits vs Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch vs Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs Forgotten Sons (Steve Cutler & Wesley Blake) (Four Way Ladder)

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [2019-06-01-WWE-NXT Takeover: XXV] Street Profits vs Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch vs Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs Forgotten Sons (Steve Cutler & Wesley Blake) (Four Way Ladder)

Really fun spotfest and proof that ladder matches are worked best when they have more than two competitors. There were some ridiculous and downright dangerous bumps with O'Reilly in particular taking a ton of punishment and Montez's tope where he landed right on his back (although Ryker was out of position). Speaking of Ryker, I thought his interference was worked really well and all the teams uniting to take him out was great. The finish was also a brilliant fake-out reminiscent of the Mania 32 ladder match finish.

****1/4

• 10 months later...

These multi-person Ladder matches in WWE usually deliver but with there being so many of them now I find I often forget which is which - and many of them lack that one thing that really makes them stand out. An example of one that DOES stand out to me is the first Money in the Bank ladder match from 2013 that Sandow won by betraying Cody. People usually like them when they happen but they don't tend to get talked about for very long. Which is a bit of a shame considering what these guys often put their bodies through in these and the reactions they get from people at the time. I think back to what ladder matches of the past did for the legacies of say, Jeff Hardy or Shelton Benjamin. Anyway this is one that actually does stand out for a couple of reasons. First, it felt fresh. As far as I know it's the only WWE ladder match appearance for any of the guys in the match and for Burch & Lorcan and the Forgotten Sons particularly, remains their highest profile match to date. But the biggest stand out here? "Oh yeah, this is the one where Kyle O'Reilly dies over and over again". 

• GSR changed the title to [2019-06-01-WWE-NXT TakeOver: XXV] Street Profits vs Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch vs Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs Forgotten Sons (Steve Cutler & Wesley Blake) (Four Way Ladder)