Pro Wrestling Only

Matt and Jeff Hardy to receive big pushes as singles wrestlers

Loss

So, according to the WON, Matt and Jeff Hardy are both about to get pretty big singles pushes. Jeff will most likely be given kind of a prankster gimmick in a way of working him into the Jackass angle for Summerslam. Matt is going to continue going over midcarders on Smackdown, and holding his own with main eventers while ultimately losing in the end but staying protected.

The Matt Hardy thing doesn't sound like a major push on paper, but he's good enough in the ring to make the most of it. He's been on quite the roll this year, and I'm glad WWE has noticed. Both are guys that WWE has had to change long-term plans for many times in the past because they end up getting more over than expected, so things could always change.

But I think both of these pushes are overdue. Both have always been over. Jeff's comeback has been better than expected, and Matt seems to have redeemed himself with WWE after the whole Edge thing.

Yeah, not surprised really, looks like they're both fufilling their potential that was talked about back in 2000.

Their on opposite ends of the spectrum as well, Matt is always solid but rarely spectacular, wheread Jeff can be spectacular but a disaster as well. I think Jeff has the better matches in him though.

I would normally agree about Matt being solid but never being spectacular, but I think he's closer to greatness these days than he's ever been. Matches with Joey Mercury, Mr. Kennedy, MVP, Miz, Finlay, Regal, Booker T, MNM and Cade/Murdoch have all been pretty good. He's probably more consistent than anyone in 2007 WWE aside from maybe Cena.

I think Matt said recently in an interview that he thinks he has a long way to go as a character before he becomes a main event guy, but thinks he's there in the ring. I'd agree with that.

Matt's about as ready for the main event as he's ever been, and considering the dearth of major face challengers for Edge, I think running with Matt as a challenger for a little while wouldn't be a bad idea. As a "character", I think he's more capable than he gives himself credit for. I don't see him being the center of the promotion, or a really major drawing card, but then I don't see him EVER being the center of the promotion or a major drawing card. But he's a strong enough character to merit a main event spot, and he's probably the best worker in the world right now other than Cena.

Actually, if Matt Hardy continues to improve and doesn't make another major political faux pas, then I could see him getting a run with the Smackdown gold if circumstances, like a serious injury, force them to change the title off their chosen one and no-one else is ready for the role. Similar to how long term tag team wrestlers like Bret Hart got the title in 1992 and JBL in 2004.

Guest Spunk

Yeah, not surprised really, looks like they're both fufilling their potential that was talked about back in 2000.

Their on opposite ends of the spectrum as well, Matt is always solid but rarely spectacular, wheread Jeff can be spectacular but a disaster as well. I think Jeff has the better matches in him though.

I completely disagree with this. Like, completely. After seeing Matt Hardy's performances this year I think where he can go is unlimited as long as he keeps up this high level of motivation and keeps having these really good matches. Jeff is the guy whose limitations in the ring are clear, as are his personal limitations. Jeff was given the ability to do whatever he wanted to in TNA, as well as booked pretty strong, and he never really showed all that much. Granted, he is so much more motivated now and all, but he can't touch Matt.

I see it as kind of like a No Fear situation. Takayama was the 'boring' guy in the team who did all of the work, while Omori was the exciting guy the fans cheered for. Takayama is a national celebrity and was at one point seen as the best heavyweight alive, while Omori had a shitty match with Kawada and has shitty matches in Zero-One now in front of a 1200 fans on a really, really good night.

Motivated Jeff is really underrated, the problem is he wasn't motivated for a long time.

Yeah, Jeff right now and the Jeff of the last four years or so may as well be two different people. So much more brutal in the ring, if nothing else.

Guest Spunk

Yeah, totally. There is no denying that Jeff Hardy has looked really good recently. I think it has a lot to do with motivation and of course, drugs.

Yeah, totally. There is no denying that Jeff Hardy has looked really good recently. I think it has a lot to do with motivation and of course, drugs.

It's gotta be different drugs, though. Before, Jeff channeled his sloppiness to blow all his offense. Now he's channeling it to hideously maul his opponents. The Whisper in the Wind went from a move that he'd fuck up and miss to a move he'd fuck up and crush his opponent's face with. It's like he's a tiny, flippy, raver Hansen.

Guest Spunk

It's gotta be different drugs, though. Before, Jeff channeled his sloppiness to blow all his offense. Now he's channeling it to hideously maul his opponents. The Whisper in the Wind went from a move that he'd fuck up and miss to a move he'd fuck up and crush his opponent's face with. It's like he's a tiny, flippy, raver Hansen.

Yeah, honestly, Jeff Hardy is incredibly enjoyable right now, and I'm loving it. There is a case of a dude that I thought his career was just through, and that he was just going to be one of those paycheck collectors that drifts from TNA to various indies until he OD'd and that was it. Instead he has totally put tons of effort into wrestling again and seriously seems like he has a passion for it. It translates ridiculously well on TV.