Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-08-24-BJW] Daisuke Sekimoto vs Michael Elgin

paul sosnowski

When the match was announced I was legitimately curious about which side of Sekimoto we were going to see: the minimalistic one or the excessive one. Turns out we got both. First 20 minutes are just these two taking turns clubbering each other with chops, elbows, and a couple of big moves. It felt a little plodding as there really wasn't any other story besides them trying to out-macho the other one, but the strikes were fucking vicious and it felt like a big fucking fight. The last 5-6 minutes they go all the way with the excess, they just hit big move after big move with fighting spirit, no selling and nearfalls. And I get it, this was a big marquee match that gave Big Japan their biggest Korakuen Hall gate in 9 years, so if there was a match were they could go all out, it was this one. And to be fair, Korakuen ate it up. It's just not the kind of stuff I love to watch anymore, though I can't deny I was entertained by it. Major props to Big Japan for making Elgin feel like a HUGE deal here, the match really had a special feeling about it.

All in all, it kinda was the match I expected to be honest, it would've benefited by being 5 minutes shorter though, imo. I'm positive most people will like it more than me, I'm not fond of ratings but would call it a 4 stars match

• GSR changed the title to [2019-08-24-BJW] Daisuke Sekimoto vs Michael Elgin

Both men have a little rep of getting a bit too cutesy with the suplex no sells/fighting spirit spots and cutesy this was. Mainly towards the end. It wasn't a total turn off but I do think they could've done much better. The rest of the match was perfectly fine. I think they did a great job of getting the crowd into the match, not like they needed any help, and played to them well. It just didn't grab me a whole lot. It didn't drag or seem unwatchable, it just felt there. **1/2

What a great debut for Elgin in Big Japan and he couldn't of had a better opponent that Daisuke Sekimoto. Big beefy guys doing big beefy guy things in this one, bomb throwing trying prove who's the best with a little sprinkle of an areial assault from both. Add this to the sneaky good year Elgin has been having so far.