Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-10-19-AAA-Heroes Immortales XIII] Rey Fenix vs Kenny Omega

SmartMark15

Rey Fenix defends the AAA Mega Title.

Kenny got a much better reaction than I expected during this match. Really enjoyed this as neither guy seemed particularly interested in killing time which is when they're both at their best. Kenny worked over the back early with a really great looking backbreaker. Fenix got his beautiful dive spots in. But things really kicked into the next gear when Kenny started throwing the V Triggers and busted Fenix's nose up. That combined with the big bombs Kenny threw at the end there really did a lot to elevate the match as Fenix did his best to try and weather the storm of Omega's brutality. Great match, my favorite Omega match since he left New Japan.

****1/4

Great in some small parts, but mostly "just" good. I thought it felt a lot longer than it was. The middle-section of it dragged badly, BUT the positives outweigh the very minor negatives -- the beginning was absolutely awesome, as was Kenny taking over by destroying Fenix's back w/ a couple of big moves, and then the ending few minutes were pretty fantastic. Good match! ***

Really liked their match last year and the sequel did not disappoint. Whereas the first match felt like an exhibition showcase, there was more of a sense of struggle here as it was a title match. That's not to say there weren't awesome spots like you'd expect from these two, but everything felt more logical in their setup. It also helped that this match was quite a bit shorter than last year's, which helped keep the action moving at a brisk space and greatly reduce the amount of downtime. 

Would really love to see a third match between these two in AEW. ****1/4

I liked it. Although Kenny was very animated with his mannerisms which is always annoying but given he was in a new territory, I get why he was "projecting". I liked the early work on the back by Kenny on Fenix, although it wasn't sold very well. The wrestling was quite fluid and fast paced. The finishing stretch was good, it's not often you see someone land on their necks in a lucha libre ring which is a bit different, and the crowd seemed to like it. Fenix's nose leaking like a faucet was a cool visual. One of the better Omega performances in a year where they are lacking. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2019-10-19-AAA-Heroes Immortales XIII] Rey Fenix vs Kenny Omega