Pro Wrestling Only

The Toys That Made Us - Professional Wrestling (Netflix)

flyonthewall2983

Watched this last night. Admittedly I have not seen the other episodes so I went into the series cold by going straight to this. Funny intro, annoying voice-over guy, silly editing and overall a childish approach which I guess is appropriate. 

It gives the briefest overview of wrestling's popularity before settling in during the Rock & Wrestling era, and the first WWF toys. Someone referred to those big bulky things as dog toys which made me laugh. I recognized Cody Rhodes (who only has one line in the whole thing), Justin Roberts and that's it. Zack Ryder was interviewed and his collection was shown off, but his stuff didn't make the cut.

Also X Pac said like one line about the Monday night wars. This was informative to me about some of the behind the scenes of the different toys and manufacturers. I never knew why they switched from LJN to Hasbro before and found out that the original LJN figures were not supposed to be statues. The limbs were supposed to be bendable and the toys half the size. This makes me wonder what toys Mexico and Japan would have had.

It's so brief I forgot he was even in it. 

I bet the guy who named himself "Jewish Lightning" would be good for a shoot interview or podcast about his time as a fan and dealing with both companies. 

I either forgot or just never knew that ECW (annoyingly referred to as "Eastern Championship Wrestling" on the show) had a line of their own. They even did commercials.

I just watched this, too.  The dealings between the toy companies and wrestling promotions was soooo pro wrestling.  Love it.

I just learned of the "Black Card" series from this episode.  I would've killed for Warrior, Rude, Bam Bam and Andre in the black singlet (I had the original Andre and tried to use electrical tape to make his singlet).  Also, why was there never a Demolition Smash?  I had Ax and always figured I just didn't get Smash.  Looks like they never made him.

I still have & own the entire Series 1 WWF Hasbro toys. Hogan, André, Warrior, Savage, Boss Man, Akeem, Beefcake, Jake the Snake, DiBiase, Rude & Demolition (Ax & Smash). I'm missing the accessories. I need the Boss Man nightstick, Beefcake shears, Million Dollar Belt & Damian the snake.

DDKYvEi.jpg

Me and my brother had Hogan, Warrior, Beefcake, and Bossman from that group. Macho King, Bushwhackers, Rockers, Tatanka, Owen Hart, Jim Neidhart, Mountie, Rick Martel, El Matador were the other Hasbros. Had the ring, of course. And had the Hogan talking doll which sounds much less audible now than the one they used in the show.