Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - June 24, 2020

MoS

So. Luchasaurus vs Wardlow was a mess. A fun mess at times, but a mess. Wardlow fucked up *two* of Luchasaurus spots. Also, he's the kind of worker I will never get interested in, buffy jock who flexes his muscles, show his tongue and looks stupid doing so. He needs to find some kind of character to himself, because as it is... Marko Stunt was the highlight.

The press conference bit was good. Glad Hager brought his wife because she was fun in her previous appearances (those training vignettes especially), and he's not a guy who's oozing character by himself, so.

Totally in on the love for Janella/Kiss tag team. The vignette was LU goodness. Sonny has been improving quite a bit since he debuted. I hope this team gets a long stint toward the top.

Ok, after two weeks, FTR is clearly awesome (last match I've seen of them was in 2016, which was another lifetime to me). If I can have a tag team match of them like this every week, I'm gonna be happy. Dax Harwood looks like one of the best worker in the world and he can cut a mean promo. The timing of the angle at the end was all fucked up (FTR should not have looked behing their back so soon) but I'm hyped as fuck by the return of the Lucha Brothers too. Hopefully we see TH2 soon, now that apparently you can get out of Mexico (apart from Tessa Blanchard apparently...). The tag-team scene in AEW is just terrific, tons of depth.

The Britt Baker stuff would be much better if it didn't involve someone I absolutely don't care about one bit. I have no idea why they push Big Swole in this spot, honestly, I can pick a bunch of their JTTS from Dark who have much more talent in the ring and more charisma too (That Brazilian Girl, for one). They won't have a match before months and the match probably won't be any good... I'd rather had Baker just fuck around with everyone than this kinda lame feud.

I have been surprised by how legit solid Matt hardy still is, despite his body being broken, pun intended.

Orange Cassidy vs Chris Jericho is the most unexpected great feud of the year. It's too bad it's happening in this context though, the crowd would go insane for Cassidy...

18 minutes ago, Stiva said:

Luchasaurus needs to drop the contrived and awkward strike combos and work like a big man. Doing the moonsaults and shooting stars is fine but hitting weak spin kicks and bad, slow-mo punch combos subtracts from his matches and gimmick so much.

Couldn't agree more. He looked like a monster in Lucha Underground, but this whole funky kicks/punches stuff really comes off totally choregraphed and devoid of any intensity, unless someone really sells it like a king. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:20 AM, El-P said:

So. Luchasaurus vs Wardlow was a mess. A fun mess at times, but a mess. Wardlow fucked up *two* of Luchasaurus spots. Also, he's the kind of worker I will never get interested in, buffy jock who flexes his muscles, show his tongue and looks stupid doing so. He needs to find some kind of character to himself, because as it is... Marko Stunt was the highlight.

It really made me miss crowds, since you know the spot with Wardlow launching Marko off the stage could have resulted in him getting crowd surfed around the building.