Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-07-26-AJPW] Stan Hansen vs Genichiro Tenryu

Superstar Sleeze

AWA World Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen vs NWA United National Heavyweight Champion Genichiro Tenryu - AJPW 7/26/86

An under-recognized aspect of Stan Hansen's AWA World Title Reign is that it served as a major marketing ploy for the All Japan office after losing dates on Ric Flair & NWA Championship in '86. By having Stan as the World Champion, they were able to consistently book the World Championship Defenses on their tours throughout 1986. Baba must have known slightly ahead of time what Crockett/Flair were doing. I wonder if thats why he negotiated with Verne to do this deal and Verne probably needed the money. By using Hansen instead of Jumbo or Tenryu, Verne got an American who could cut promos and participate in angles. Genichiro Tenryu has basically been the United National Champion since 1984 except for a sight hiccup when he voluntarily relinquished the belt in 1986 due to being pinned in a tag match, what an honorable man. He defeated Ted DiBiase in tournament final, I loved their match in 1983. 

I am kinda surprised that this finished #119 as I thought it was pretty damn great and I know the All Japan set was fucking stacked but this had blood, struggle and great performances by both men. I think I prefer the inverted match structure that Stan Hansen provides as opposed to the traditional match structure. The way Jumbo wrestled him was typical with Jumbo having the advantage early and Hansen taking over for heat. Since Hansen does not bump around like a traditional heel and shine the babyface, it leaves these segments feeling like heel in peril. By doing the inverted match structure, you have Hansen open with heat and then when the babyface fighting from underneath takes over and works the Lariat arm it is still heel in peril BUT it feels more dramatic because you have seen what the Grizzly Bear can do and the babyface has earned the wound on the Grizzly Bear. 

Hansen comes out in all his clubbering Tasmanian Devil glory. He feeds Tenryu a bodyslam and takes an enziguiri, but he keeps on trucking. He works a side headlock. If there is one chink in the Hansen armor is that he is not always a great, entertaining grinder. Bret Hart and Greg Valentine are great grinders. Hansen relies on chaos and the bull in the china shop mentality to generate entertainment and excitement. He tends to leave the viewer longing for more when he is working headlocks. One thing Hansen does very, very well, maybe the best of all time, is that he makes you believe the babyface is fighting for his very life when he is in the ring with him. Hansen ends up missing a charge and then taking a knee to the lariat arm on a charge. Tenryu starts throwing Enzigiuris at the arm. Tenryu works the arm over like a champ. At one point, he is just grinding his knuckles into the elbow of Hansen. It is pretty typically great, work Hansen's lariat arm segment with Hansen, who is a very underrated seller doing great. I love when Hansen, Vader, Andre or Brock sell, that wounded Grizzly Bear selling is so good. Hansen flees to the safety of the outside only for Tenryu to bash Hansen's head into the announce table and slam the bad wing into hard metal objects. Hansen actually pulls Tenryu out after Tenryu went back in to break the count and this time Tenryu smashes Hansen's head so hard into the announce table he draws blood. He punches the open wound and a series of Enziguiris serve as nearfalls for the challenger. Tenryu goes for the powerbomb but Hansen blocks. Hansen BULLDOZES Tenryu with a Lariat that sends both men crashing to the floor. Tenryu is kicking at Hansen from his back on the floor in a great heated, scrappy moment. Hansen holds him back and as this is double countout as expected as it is a double championship match. Hansen crowns Tenryu with a chair and they brawl to the back. 

Given the blood, the great arm work and the sudden finish, I thought this was better than the two Jumbo matches (though the second one did feature some choice Jumbo working the midsection work). I loved the desperation, home run Lariat that basically said "I am fucked", "if I am going to Hell, I am taking you with me", "Fuck my bad arm, I am going to lose, I just need to clobber him with my killshot and take the draw to keep my World Championship" all in one blow. It still was not the epic, must-see classic but this was strong pro wrestling: establish the Monster, create vulnerability in the Monster, build heat to the big finish with blood & brawling, make you believe the Hero has a chance to win with nearfalls and then a badass climax and that hooks you in for rematches. ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1986-07-26-AJPW] Stan Hansen vs Genichiro Tenryu