Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-03-12-AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu vs Road Warriors

Superstar Sleeze

NWA International Tag Team Champions Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu vs Road Warriors - AJPW 3/12/87

I did a little research on the tag team titles in All Japan. The NWA International Tag Team Championship was the Main Championship it was primarily held by Baba & Jumbo and when Baba went into semi-retirement it became Jumbo & Tenryu's titles and this was the title that they feuded with Choshu & Yatsu over that I have not gotten to yet because I am saving it for a day when I can knock out all four major matches. The PWF Tag Team Titles were only created in 1984 and these were Stan Hansen's titles. He won them with Brody and then it was awarded to DiBiase when Brody left and when DiBiase departed it was awarded to Austin Idol, which is an interesting pick. It was only in 1987 that non-Hansen teams started to win them. Jumbo & Yatsu would feud with Tenryu & Hara over the PWF titles during the Jumbo vs Tenryu war. Jumbo & Yatsu would be the team to unify the title two sets of tag titles to form the Double Cup. 

This was pretty good and I think if the Road Warriors either worked in Japan more or were heel more in the US they would be more fondly remembered in the ring. Monster babyface is probably the hardest role in wrestling to play and I think Roadies' style was better suited to being roughhousing heels. I really liked this match as a power wrestling match and these four big dudes hitting hard and throwing each other around. Jumbo Tsuruta is a big dude. Animal makes it look easy to Press Him Over Head and slam him. Loved Jumbo's response to this, really TRUCKS him with the Lariat. Tenryu and Hawk have a great exchange. Hawk takes a nice doubled over somersault bump off the middle. They are a lot more giving here than normal but I think it being in Japan and they are playing heels is the cause. It is just great power wrestling. Short heat on Tenryu, gets a back suplex to tag in Jumbo. Hawk hits a big bodyslam but misses elbow. Jumbo hits that great High Knee, but they both collide hard on lariat attempts. Axe Bomber by Hawk  sends Jumbo cashing to the outside. Japan being so offense-focused really helps the power-oriented Road Warriors. Tag out to Animal and a miss move lets Jumbo tag out. Tenryu misses his reverse top rope back elbow. This starts the Tenryu heat proper. Lots of fake tags and chinlocks. Hawk misses a middle rope splash and hot tag to Jumbo!  Jumbo is rolling; between this & Hansen/DiBiase match I just watched, Jumbo is a phenomenal hot tag. Great fire and loved the high knee in the corner! Scorpion Deathlock by Jumbo, I usually associate the Boston Crab with him, I wonder if that is some Choshu influence. Tag back into Tenryu which may be too fast.

Best spot of the match: Tenryu whips Hawk into the ropes, Animal presses Hawk and THROWS HIM INTO TENRYU! Massive powerslam by Tenryu! DOOMSDAY DEVICE~! Jumbo is barely saving on these covers. Animal press slams Tenryu like he is nothing. Crazy! STUFF PILEDRIVER ON TENRYU ON THE OUTSIDE! AWESOME! Countout victory! Japanese titles can change hands on countout so the Road Warriors are new Tag Team Champions! The Roadies would only defend it three times in over a year as Crockett was sending their wrestlers to Japan less & less. Not surprising that PWF Tag Team Titles became more important as a result. 

Loved the power wrestling, the chinlock stuff dragged, but the Jumbo hot tag and the finish stretch were ultra-hot! Fun power wrestling match. ***1/2  

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1987-03-12-AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu vs Road Warriors