Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-07-11-AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Tiger Mask II vs Stan Hansen & Ted DiBiase

Superstar Sleeze

PWF World Tag Team Champions Jumbo Tsuruta vs Stan Hansen & Ted DiBiase - AJPW 7/11/87

Jumbo & Misawa won the Tag Titles a week prior it was the first time Stan Hansen had lost the titles since he & Brody were inaugural champions in 1984 (Ted DiBiase was Brody's replacement). Interesting, Stan & Ted win them back here as it had to be known by now that Ted was WWF-bound as I got to believe this was his last tour. Austin Idol replaces Ted, I have a morbid curiosity to watch Austin idol in All Japan.  

Very good meat & potatoes match. Nothing that will rock your world or cause you to a write a letter home to mom, but I would never complain if wrestling was usually this solid on the TV now. It starts with Jumbo slowly getting overwhelmed by Hansen & DiBiase. DiBiase did a lot of babyface moves here, which was weird, like winning the hiptoss exchange on the criss-cross and an armdrag. Hansen targets the left arm in brutal fashion. I love whenever Hansen drags an opponent out by the arm to the outside to do more damage. It looks like a beast dragging its prey back into its lair. DiBiase gets a nice Fireman's Carry on Jumbo. Jumbo hits the High Knee. The fact Misawa & DiBiase touched seemed so weird to me, but I just love how much the 80s were intermingled and cross-pollinated. Misawa dropkick and a nice gutwrench as the hot tag, but doesnt last long as Hansen comes in and bulldozes him. Eventually, DiBiase charges and rams his shoulder into the buckles and they work that over. Hansen regains control for his team. It is interesting that Hansen takes both a hiptoss and Sunset Flip from Misawa. Misawa is not small, but he is not big enough that it would be automatic that Hansen would give him those moves so I think that was a sign of respect and signal to the audience to expect big things from Misawa. They work on Hansen's back, Jumbo gets an abdominal stretch and Misawa tries a Boston Crab. DiBiase is saving. Jumbo rocket launches Misawa as the big nearfall for the native team. It is breaking down in Tulsa. DiBiase & Jumbo end up outside and in the fracas, BOOM LARIAT HANSEN TRUCKS MISAWA! 1-2-3! New Tag Champs. Very solid stuff. ***1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1987-07-11-AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Tiger Mask II vs Stan Hansen & Ted DiBiase