Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-03-09-AJPW] Stan Hansen vs Genichiro Tenryu

Superstar Sleeze

PWF World Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen vs NWA United National Heavyweight Champion Genichiro Tenryu - AJPW 3/9/88

I would say this is an important match rather than a great match thought it looks like most disagree with me, putting this at #36 for All Japan of the 80s, which seems very high to me. So it begins, we are officially on the road to the Triple Crown! Tenryu defeats Hansen in a shocking, sudden upset with an Inside Cradle and becomes the first man to my knowledge to hold two of the three most important singles titles in All Japan at once. I think it is very interesting that it is Tenryu not Jumbo that has this honor. You could even make the case that this leapfrogged Jumbo as he was now a Double Champion with the PWF Championship being higher than International and a clean, in the middle of the ring victory over Stan Hansen. It will be interested to watch Tenryu vs Jumbo from this year. 

As for the match, I felt this match was incomplete, a truncated version of a championship match because the finish was so out of nowhere. Tenryu was not bombarding Hansen with Enziguiris, Stiff Lariats, Top Rope Reverse Elbows and Powerbombs in fact it was quite the opposite. He was getting his ass kicked for most of the match. Right before the finish was struggling to get Hansen up, he collapsed on a bodyslam attempt, he failed on a Fisherman's Suplex and a German Suplex. It was a running Inside Cradle that won the day, but the match did not feel finished. This is definitely intentional as it was a way to protect Hansen and build to rematches. It made the viewer wanting more. Was this a fluke? Can he do it again? What would happen if Hansen blasted him with the Western Lariat? The post-match is very interesting as Hansen got his heat back so to speak as he roughed up Tenryu and the announcer and poor Joe Higuchi. It looked like he was going to disfigure Tenryu with his Cowbell when Hara leapt across and puts his body over Tenryu. Hansen robbed Tenryu of his moment in the sun and robbed him a chance to revel in his newfound glory. The rematch is all the hotter now. 

As for the match itself, if you love a Grade A, Choice-Cut Stan Hansen asskicking served piping hot than you will enjoy this match. They start off red hot just smacking through each other's offense. Tenryu nails an Enziguiri, Hansen kicks and LUNGES AND BOWLS TENRYU OVER TO THE OUTSIDE! From there, the rout is on. I went through and read the Tenryu's thread in the Greatest Wrestler Ever section and it was only reading through OJ's comments that I realized what is often missing from Tenryu, he is far too giving. He is content to sell and play ragdoll for Hansen. I would have loved to seen more struggle and really make Hansen earn this badass offense. Just like how Hansen forces his opponent to earn theirs. In fairness, this was not even Hansen gobbling him up. Hansen was giving him openings. Hansen was eating knees on charges, missing elbow drops and eating offense, BUT Tenryu was not match his intensity on offense. Tenryu was not bringing the goods that Hansen was. Hansen was positively ferocious in this. Wailing chair shots to the back, Boston Crab, Gutwrech and a zillion Cowboy Kicks. He was kicking 50 yd Field Goals across Tenryu's back. There's one in my mind, where he got a running start and really punted him. Like I said Hansen did start to feed Tenryu hope spots, I didnt think Tenryu was doing much with them. It was very alright, solid from him. Hansen was bringing the heat. I went over the finish. I think that covers everything. 

I really liked their 1986 bout, this pales in comparison to that. The title change is momentual. I dont see it as an all-time great match. ***1/2 for Hansen's performance. 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1988-03-09-AJPW] Stan Hansen vs Genichiro Tenryu