Pro Wrestling Only

Maple Leaf Wrestling

The Thread Killer

matwatch.jpg

Blockbuster Announcement from Maple Leaf Wrestling regarding Tag Team Championships!

Promoter Frank Tunney announced today during an interview with The Toronto Sun that the NWA International Tag Team Championship Titles (formerly known as the NWA Canadian Open Tag Team Championship) have been declared Vacant, effective immediately.  The former champions (Hartford and Reginald Love) have left Maple Leaf Wrestling and have subsequently been officially stripped of their Championships.

Mr. Tunney announced that the Opening Round of an All Star tournament to decide new NWA International Tag Team Champions will be held at the next Maple Leaf Wrestling show at Toronto’s Maple Leaf Gardens on Sunday, February 22, 1981.  An impressive field of 16 Tag Teams have already been signed and Mr. Tunney has finalized the brackets for this exciting event.

The participants for the tournament, and the Opening Round match-ups are as follows:

Opening Round: Match #1

The Great Hossein Arab (with Manager Abdullah Farouk) & Mr. Fuji        
vs.                    
Angelo “King Kong” Mosca & Dewey Robertson

Opening Round: Match #2

Big John Studd (with Manager “Pretty Boy” Floyd Creatchman) & “Huge” Tom Lintz    
vs.        
Dino Bravo & Pat Patterson

Opening Round: Match #3

Billy Robinson & The Destroyer            
vs.                                
Blackjack Mulligan & Bullwhip Johnson

Opening Round: Match #4

Abdullah The Butcher & The Sheik (with Manager Abdullah Farouk)
vs.                                
Kelly Kiniski & Whipper Watson Jr.

Opening Round: Match #5

Iron Mike Sharpe & Goldie Rogers            
vs.                                    
Dominic DeNucci & Tony "Cannonball" Parisi    

Opening Round: Match #6

Rocky & Bob Della Serra                
vs.                            
Sweet Ebony Diamond & George Wells            

Opening Round Match #7

“The Family” (Doug Vines and Jeff Sword)             
vs.        
Johnny Weaver & Mike Rotundo

Opening Round Match #7

The Kelly Twins (Pat and Mike)             
vs.        
Sweet Daddy Siki & Cocoa Samoa

“We are very excited to bring such a star studded event to the great fans of Maple Leaf Wrestling.” claimed Mr. Tunney. “Rocky Della Serra has been having great success in the All Star Wrestling promotion in Vancouver, and Bob “UFO” Della Serra has had some thrilling matches in the International Wrestling Organization in Montreal. We are happy to reunite these brothers and bring them together in Toronto.”

Mr. Tunney further expanded on some of the other fresh talent which are being introduced or teamed up for the first time in this tournament.

“We think our fans will really enjoy seeing the sons of two Maple Leaf Wrestling legends teaming up for this first time.  Kelly Kiniski, the son of former NWA Champion Gene Kiniski will be teaming up with Whipper Watson Jr., whose father is still considered legendary for his reign as the NWA British Empire Champion.  I think this second generation team will make their namesakes proud.”

I had a chance to ask Mr. Tunney about a couple of the other new or returning teams in the tournament.

“The Kelly Twins have experienced great success in Maple Leaf Wrestling in the past, including a lengthy reign as Tag Team Champions.  We are glad to welcome them back to Toronto after their time in St. Louis.  And we are also interested in seeing the young and dynamic Doug Vines and Jeff Sword who were known as “The Family” or “The Devil’s Duo” making their debut for Maple Leaf Wrestling."

I asked Mr. Tunney if “The Family” would be accompanied by their notorious manager Izzy Slapawitz.

“There are no plans for Mr. Slapawitz to appear with his former clients, however this could change in time.”

This opening round will also be notable as it will be the first appearance in Toronto by Abdullah The Butcher and The Sheik in quite some time.  Both of these men have been making waves and creating chaos overseas both as a team and individually, but this will be the first time they have appeared in Toronto as a team.  I asked Mr. Tunney about both men and their well earned reputation for mayhem and violence.

“I am well aware of the dubious history of both Abdullah and The Sheik, and we have all witnessed their exploits here in Maple Leaf Wrestling, many times. I have informed their representative Mr. Farouk that while we are happy to have both men return to Toronto, we intend to run a fair, cleanly contested tournament and that no cheating or shenanigans outside or inside the ring will be tolerated!”

Other news and notes:

- Mr. Tunney informed me during the interview that the Marcus Brothers, Bob and Joe are being designated as official alternates for the tournament, should any of the teams in the Opening Round brackets be unable to advance to the Quarterfinals.  After the Quarterfinals, it is my understanding that the bye system will be in effect and no further substitutions would be permitted.

- With the newly popular Angelo Mosca teaming with the perennially popular Ontario native Dewey Robertson, can there be any doubt that these two men will be the clear crowd favourites in this tournament?  Then again...the rough, brawling Mosca and then clean cut, athletic Robertson seem to be the definition of “clashing styles.”  It remains to be seen how well the two most popular men in Maple Leaf Wrestling will fare as a team...especially against an established team with experience working together like Hossein and Fuji.

- Speaking of a clash in styles...considering the fact that Iron Mike Sharpe has won Tag Team Championships with both Moose Morowski and Savatore Bellomo in other parts of Canada, I was somewhat surprised to see him team up with Goldie Rogers for this tournament.  While Rogers is certainly more flamboyant than Iron Mike’s former partners, it remains to be seen if they will be able to work together as well as Sharpe & Morowski or Sharpe & Bellomo have in the past. Both Morowski and Bellomo are reportedly available, which makes Sharpe and Rogers choosing to team up all the more curious.

- Although this is the first time they will have teamed up in Maple Leaf Wrestling, Billy Robertson and The Destroyer have experience participating in Tag Team Tournaments overseas, and should not be overlooked as potential contenders in this tournament.

- We have similarly seen Sweet Ebony Diamond and George Wells work together previously in Maple Leaf Wrestling, as well as the mentor/student combination of Johnny “Buzzsaw” Weaver and the exciting young collegiate Mike Rotundo.  The same can be said for Dominic DeNucci and Tony Parisi, who have extensive experience working together. It remains to be seen if previous experience as a team will work to any of these teams advantage.

- The opposite can be said for the teaming of Dino Bravo and Pat Patterson.  Both men have worked together here in Maple Leaf Wrestling before and yes...both men are accomplished Pro Wrestlers, but isn't it a bit odd to even think about seeing Pat Patterson working in Maple Leaf Gardens without his usual partner Ray Stevens?  Bravo is a sensation and nobody has a better reputation in Tag Team matches than Patterson, but that doesn't guarantee that their team will automatically gel.

- I know as a reporter, I am expected to be objective...and I wish all of the participants well.  But is there any true Pro Wrestling fan who doesn't salivate just a little at the potential match-up of Abdullah The Butcher and The Sheik against Blackjack Mulligan and Danny "Bullwhip" Johnson?  Depending on who wins and loses in the opening round...that could be a potential brawl for the ages. If any team has the physical ability to stand up to the barely contained chaos that Abdullah and The Sheik will doubtless bring, it can only be the two big cowboys.

- The 8 opening round matches will make up the entirety of the next big show at Maple Leaf Gardens on February 22, 1981.  It is my understanding that the Quarterfinal and Semifinal matches will take place over the following weeks when Maple Leaf Wrestling presents their weekly Television program, and the Finals will be taking place as the Main Event of a future event at Maple Leaf Gardens in the coming months.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I'm so hyped! Can't wait for Maple Leaf Wrestling to kick things off!

Thanks brother.  I'm pretty stoked, I got pretty much the exact roster I wanted...pretty much every single person on my Maple Leaf Wrestling roster worked that territory between 79-83. That's pretty good considering most of the same guys worked in Mid-Atlantic at the exact same time, because Jim Crockett was promoting both territories. The only guys I missed out on were The Masked Superstar, Paul Jones and Scott McGhee...but it's all good because I got really decent substitute picks.  I had intended to have Johnny Weaver and McGhee do the whole mentor/student angle, but when you grabbed McGhee I poked around and found out that when he worked in Toronto, Mike Rotundo actually teamed up with Weaver. Nobody had grabbed Rotundo surprisingly, so I was able to draft him instead.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with as well. :)

40 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Thanks brother.  I'm pretty stoked, I got pretty much the exact roster I wanted...pretty much every single person on my Maple Leaf Wrestling roster worked that territory between 79-83. That's pretty good considering most of the same guys worked in Mid-Atlantic at the exact same time, because Jim Crockett was promoting both territories. The only guys I missed out on were The Masked Superstar, Paul Jones and Scott McGhee...but it's all good because I got really decent substitute picks.  I had intended to have Johnny Weaver and McGhee do the whole mentor/student angle, but when you grabbed McGhee I poked around and found out that when he worked in Toronto, Mike Rotundo actually teamed up with Weaver. Nobody had grabbed Rotundo surprisingly, so I was able to draft him instead.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with as well. :)

Thanks! Just posted a preview that should give an idea of who will fit where! ;)

John stud is a guy that I was hoping to get my hands on because I think he's got a huge upside. Another one is Dino bravo and I always thought together they could be one hell of a tag team. The interesting thing will be how you use a guy like bravo in this promotion because he really could be a figurehead and ace. You get a lot of other pieces that are going to build up around him and it's going to be fun to watch everything fall into place.

1 hour ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

John stud is a guy that I was hoping to get my hands on because I think he's got a huge upside. Another one is Dino bravo and I always thought together they could be one hell of a tag team. The interesting thing will be how you use a guy like bravo in this promotion because he really could be a figurehead and ace. You get a lot of other pieces that are going to build up around him and it's going to be fun to watch everything fall into place.

I remember a cover with John Studd and Jimmy Snuka wrestling and it said it was the battle for the future of the NWA Title.

• 2 weeks later...

Dino Bravo was megaover in the Montreal territory back then. He and Rick Martel were the two biggest babyfaces (although Bravo would be heel whenever he wrestled Martel in Quebec City because of the Montreal vs Quebec City rivalry). What killed Bravo in my opinion in WWE was the powerlifting contest they did at the 1988 Royal Rumble where the segment went horribly awry. That killed the heat he had in the US. But in Quebec, not even Hogan could be as over as Dino was.

4 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Dino Bravo was megaover in the Montreal territory back then. He and Rick Martel were the two biggest babyfaces (although Bravo would be heel whenever he wrestled Martel in Quebec City because of the Montreal vs Quebec City rivalry). What killed Bravo in my opinion in WWE was the powerlifting contest they did at the 1988 Royal Rumble where the segment went horribly awry. That killed the heat he had in the US. But in Quebec, not even Hogan could be as over as Dino was.

Bravo was also a former NWA Tag Champ with Tim Woods

logo.jpg

Arena Report
Maple Leaf Gardens
Sunday, February 22, 1981

Hello, wrestling fans. This is Jimmy Freeman reporting for the Toronto Sun Mat Report and the Maple Leaf Wrestling hotline.  If you missed the big show at Maple Leaf Gardens this past Sunday, you missed quite an event.  And those of you who did it miss it, probably only did so because you couldn’t get tickets...this star studded and action packed event was sold out.  As soon as promoter Frank Tunney announced this exciting tournament to crown new NWA International Tag Team Champions, Maple Leaf Wrestling fans beat a path to the box office and as a result there wasn’t a spare seat to be found this past Sunday.

Thankfully, your truly was there at ringside and I’m here to bring you a blow-by-blow account of all the amazing action...so let’s get to it.  This event was filmed so I’m sure highlights of many of these matches will be shown in the coming weeks on Maple Leaf Wrestling which airs every Saturday at 1:00 pm on CHCH TV Channel 11.

Opening Match: Salvatore Bellomo vs. Tim Gerrard

This match did not appear to be filmed, as announcers Billy Red Lyons and Mike McMan were not at ringside.

Bellomo and Gerrard wrestled to a 20 Minute Time Limit Draw.

After the opening match, Lyons and McMan made their way to ringside and took a seat at the announcer’s desk, the house lights went down and ring announcer Norm Kimber declared the official start of the tournament crown new NWA International Tag Team Champions.  Norm announced that the opening round matches would be held in descending order, with the Number One seed match taking place tonight as our Main Event.

Siki-And-Samoa.jpg vs. Kelly-Twins.jpg

First Match: The Kelly Twins vs. Sweet Daddy Siki & Cocoa Samoa

Siki and Samoa got the ovation you would expect for these crowd favourites.  The fans were less happy to see the returning Kelly Twins, Pat and Mike.  These Canadian brothers and former Tag Team Champions had a famous rivalry with The Crusaders here in Maple Leaf Wrestling just a few years ago. Based on the reaction to The Kelly Twins, the fans still remember them...and not very fondly.  Since their departure from Maple Leaf Wrestling, The Kelly Twins have been wrestling primarily in the United States, where they have experienced success in St. Louis, Minneapolis, and especially in Indianapolis where they enjoyed a reign as Tag Team Champions.

The Kelly Twins enjoyed the definite size advantage in this match, but Sweet Daddy Siki got things off to a hot start for his team and had the Twins reeling with a series of dropkicks, and his flamboyant footwork. Siki tagged out to Cocoa Samoa, who rocked both brothers with his patented headbutts.  The Kelly Brothers battled back and were especially brutal, clubbing Cocoa Samoa repeatedly with a series of forearms and stomps.

The other factor in this match as expected, was experience as a Tag Team.  Obviously, The Kelly Twins have been together their entire lives and usually work as a Tag Team.  As successful as Sweet Daddy Siki and Cocoa Samoa have been individually, this was one of the first times they worked together as a team...and it showed. The Kelly Twins managed to cut the ring off, tag in and out, and use the rules of Tag Team wrestling to their advantage.

The end came when Cocoa Samoa went for his patented top rope headbutt on Pat Kelly, only to have Mike pull his brother out of the way from the outside. Samoa went down, and as Mike Kelly cut off Sweet Daddy Siki, Pat Kelly landed an impressive looking kneedrop right to the chest of Cocoa Samoa, and got the pinfall at 7 minutes and 13 seconds...much to the disappointment of the sold out crowd.

Result: The Kelly Twins defeat Sweet Daddy Siki  & Cocoa Samoa, when Pat Kelly pinned Cocoa Samoa with a kneedrop at 7:13.  

The Kelly Twins advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

Devils-Duo.jpg vs .Weaver-Rotundo.jpg

Second Match: Doug Vines and Jeff Sword vs. Johnny “Buzzsaw” Weaver and Mike Rotundo

Vines and Sword have made individual appearances in Maple Leaf Wrestling in the past, but the two have not teamed together here.  But that does not mean these two are not familiar with each other...quite the opposite. Vines and Sword have worked as team south of the border as “The Devil’s Duo.” Maple Leaf Wrestling fans may have been unfamiliar with them as a team, as the crowd reaction toward them was rather muted.

Johnny “Buzzaw” Weaver is a well known, well liked and well respected veteran, and he appears have taken rookie collegiate wrestler Mike Rotundo under his wing.  These two men compliment each other perfectly and the fans gave them a warm ovation.

The match was a solid, back and forth affair.  There was some slightly villanous behavior from Vines and Sword, which was not appreciated by the fans.  Specifically, The Devil’s Duo frequently entered the ring illegally and had to be warned back by the referee, to a reception of loud boos. The end came when Mike Rotundo caught Jeff Sword in an airplane spin and pinned him, while Weaver cut off an attempt by Doug Vines to break up the pinfall.

Result: Johnny Weaver and Mike Rotundo defeat The Devil’s Duo at 10:11 when Rotundo pins Sword following an airplane spin.  

Weaver and Rotundo advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

Bob-And-Rocky-Della-Serra.jpg vs. Diamond-Wells.jpg

Third Match: Rocky and Bob Della Serra vs. Sweet Ebony Diamond and George Wells

This was the homecoming for Rocky and Bob Della Serra...but it wasn’t exactly a warm welcome home. Rocky Della Serra has been a major star for the All Star Wrestling promotion out in Vancouver, while his older brother Bob has been dividing his time between Puerto Rico and the International Wrestling promotion in Montreal.  The two brothers have worked together a few times in the past, but this is their first time teaming up in quite some time, and their debut here in Maple Leaf Wrestling.  Based on the crowd reaction to the Della Serra Brothers, the knowledgeable Maple Leaf Wrestling fans have been watching the two brothers on opposite sides of the country, and haven’t been impressed with what they’ve seen.

Of course, Sweet Ebony Diamond and George Wells have teamed up here in Maple Leaf Wrestling several times in the past...but apparently you can’t beat the bond between two brothers. Diamond started the match off against Rocky Della Serra, and managed to hold his own against the muscular powerhouse.  Of course, Diamond is no stranger to fisticuffs himself. Once George Wells tagged in, things started to go badly for the fan favroties...especially after the big brawler Bob Della Serra came in.  Bob wore Wells down with a punishing bearhug, a couple of big bodyslams and a whip into the turnbuckles.

The end came when Bob Della Serra hit George Wells with a lateral press after a long vertical suplex. Della Serra pulled the tights for insurance, but unfortunately the referee didn’t see it as he was distracted by Rocky charging across the ring at Sweet Ebony Diamond at the same time.

Result: Rocky and Bob Della Serra defeated Sweet Ebony Diamond and George Wells at 6:43 when Della Serra pinned Wells following a vertical suplex.

Rocky and Bob Della Serra advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

Parisi-Denucci.jpgvs.Sharpe-Rogers.jpg

Fourth Match: Tony “Cannonball” Parisi and Dominic DeNucci vs. Iron Mike Sharpe and Goldie Rogers

While Norm Kimber was making his introductions, Iron Mike Sharpe grabbed the microphone and (as is his custom) demanded to be introduced as “Canada’s Greatest Athlete.”   Neither Norm or the fans in attendance were impressed.  Goldie Rogers seemed more concerned with fluffing up his hair and strutting around the ring while posing than he did locking up for battle, and he paid for it.  As soon as the bell rang, Dominic DeNucci tackled Mike Sharpe and the two men rolled out of the ring, while Tony Parisi hit the unsuspecting Goldie Rogers (who was still strutting and preening) with a dropkick which sent him unceremoniously crashing to the mat. To the deafening cheers of the fans, Tony Parisi headed up to the top rope and landed on Goldie with his patented “Cannonball” manoeuvre..and that was all she wrote.

Result: Tony Parisi and Dominic DeNucci defeated Iron Mike Sharpe and Goldie Rogers in 0:23 seconds when Parisi pinned Rogers after the “Cannonball” from the Top Rope.

Tony Parisi and Dominic DeNucci advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

After the match had concluded, Iron Mike Sharpe once again commandeered the house microphone.  Sharpe claimed that any manoeuvres from the top rope should be considered illegal, therefore DeNucci and Parisi should be disqualified, the decision should be reversed, and Iron Mike Sharpe should be declared the Tag Team Champions.  At this point, DeNucci and Parisi were half way down the ramp towards the Locker Room, but they returned, stormed the ring and chased Sharpe and Rogers to the back.

Sheik-Abby.jpg vs. Watson-Kiniski.jpg

Fifth Match: Abdullah The Butcher & The Sheik vs. Kelly Kiniski and Whipper Watson Jr.

Kiniski and Watson are of course both the sons of former NWA World Heavyweight Champions, whose fathers sold out Maple Leaf Gardens many times, over many years.  The Maple Leaf Gardens faithful gave the two legendary progenies a rousing ovation as they jogged to the ring...and then chaos erupted.  

Abdullah Farouk led his clients The Shiek and Abdullah The Butcher down the ramp, and as soon as all four men were in the ring...The Sheik and The Butcher attacked.  The bell had not even rung when The Butcher started throttling Kelly Kiniski, and The Sheik grabbed Watson by the hair, and started repeatedly jabbing him on the forehead with some form of foreign object.  Meanwhile, Farouk inserted himself between referee Fred Atkins and the action, in a clear attempt to distract the official.  Watson and Kiniski fought back, and began slugging it out with the two monsters.

The referee was finally successful in ordering Farouk out the ring and both teams to their corners, when the bell was sounded to start the match.  Sadly, Watson was already bleeding from the forehead as a result of the attack by The Sheik before the bell, and in my opinion this match should have never been allowed to begin.  Watson bravely attempted to slug it out with The Sheik, but he was already at a clear disadvantage due to his injury.  Abdullah The Butcher tagged in and continued to jab and prod away at the bloodied head of Whipper Watson Jr., as manager Farouk repeatedly leapt to the ring apron and distracted referee Fred Atkins.  The fans were incensed at the illegal tactics and the boos and jeers were deafening.  At one point, security actually had to prevent an overzealous fan from leaping over the barricade and attacking Farouk.

The fans were ecstatic when after being cut off from his partner for what seemed like forever, Whipper Watson Jr. was able to leapfrog over The Sheik and tag in Kelly Kiniski.  You could barely hear yourself think as the fans came unglued...Kiniski charged at both Abdullah and The Sheik and hammered both men with a flurry of punches, kicks and forearm smashes.  When Farouk jumped up on the ring apron one too many times and attempted to intervene, he got a flying dropkick for his trouble and was sent crashing to the floor, much to the delight of the fans.

Eventually, Kiniski tagged in Watson and the two men started hammering The Sheik with tandem punches. The referee ordered Kiniski from the ring, which gave The Sheik a chance to tag in The Butcher.  As Farouk waved his arms at the referee from the outside distracting him, Abdullah The Butcher pulled a taped object from one of his pockets and jabbed Watson right in the throat.  Watson began to choke, and The Butcher followed up with a double palm thrust to the neck, which sent Watson to the canvas.  Abdullah The Butcher hit Watson with an elbow drop and made the cover, while The Sheik stopped the charging Kelly Kiniski from making the save.

Result: Abdullah The Butcher & The Sheik defeated Kelly Kiniski and Whipper Watson Jr. when Abdullah pinned Watson following an elbow drop at 8:57.

Abdullah The Butcher and The Sheik advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

The aftermath of this match resulted in the fans pelting The Butcher and The Sheik with garbage as they made their way down the ramp.  The house lights went up and Norm Kimber exhorted the fans to settle down, as a 15 minute intermission was declared.

~INTERMISSION~

Destroyer-Robinson2.jpgvs.Bullwhip-Blackjack.jpg

Sixth Match: Billy Robinson and The Destroyer vs. Bullwhip Johnson and Blackjack Mulligan

The first match after the intermission was a change of pace, following the violent brawl fans had just witnessed. Technical mat wrestling was on display, as the duo of accomplished grapplers Billy Robinson and The Destroyer took on the two big brawling cowboys Blackjack Mulligan and Danny “Bullwhip” Johnson.  Billy Robinson started the match against Bullwhip Johnson, and put on a clinic of holds and counterholds.  As hard as he tried, poor Bullwhip ended up getting tied in knots, as Blackjack watched helplessly from their corner. Robinson and The Destroyer worked together seamlessly, tagging in and out.

The end came when Johnson was able to escape an attempted elbow drop from The Destroyer.  Bullwhip hustled over to his corner and made the tag. The Gardens exploded again, as big Blackjack Mulligan charged the ring and cleaned house.  Mulligan knocked Robinson off the apron, and then proceeded to unload on The Destroyer with a series of punches, clubbing forearms and knee lifts that battered the masked man senseless.  Robinson attempted to roll back into the ring to help his partner, but Bullwhip Johnson ran around the outside, grabbed Robinson by the leg and pulled him back down...resulting in a brawl on the floor.  Meanwhile Blackjack threw The Destroyer into the ropes, and as Destroyer rebounded, Mulligan hit him full force with a lariat style clothesline hard enough to literally knock the masked man 360 degrees in the air.  Mulligan made the cover, and that was all she wrote.

Result: Bullwhip Johnson and Blackjack Mulligan defeated Billy Robinson and The Destroyer at 9:17 when Mulligan pinned The Destroyer following a clothesline.

Bullwhip Johnson and Blackjack Mulligan advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

Bravo-Patterson.jpgvs.Studd-Lintz.jpg

Seventh Match:  Dino Bravo and Pat Patterson vs. Big John Studd and Huge Tom Lintz

This match was a rare chance to see the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Champion Big John Studd compete against the NWA Canadian Television Champion, Dino Bravo. It’s not often we get to see both champions in the ring at the same time...and both men are hoping to use this tournament to add yet another Championship Title to their collection.  

Big John Studd was accompanied by his manager, the flamboyant and verbose “Pretty Boy” Floyd Creatchman, resplendent in a pink sequined jacket which was offensive to the eyes.  Creatchman was a source of constant irritation during this match, running around outside the ring yammering instructions at full volume, and engaging in verbal confrontations with the fans, the referee and even Mike McMan and Billy Red Lyons at the announcers desk.

Bravo and Patterson were the clear crowd favorites during this match.  Fans have taken a liking to the affable young french strongman Bravo over the past few years, and Pat Patterson has of course been a long time presence in Toronto. This match was hardly the technical exhibition that Billy Robinson put on during the previous match, nor was it the wild brawl like the match previous to that.  This contest consisted of Bravo and Patterson trying valiantly to knock the massive Studd and Lintz off their feet, or mount any kind of offense that was even remotely effective.  Dino Bravo was definitely taken off his game during this match, because he is used to being the strongest man in the ring and able to easily exert his will on his opponents.

Pat Patterson was able to maintain a lengthy advantage for his team, as he was finally able to knock Huge Tom Lintz to the mat. Patterson tried a succession of headlocks and arm and leglocks to keep the bigger man down. Eventually, Lintz was able to make the tag to the Canadian Champion, Big John Studd.  Once Studd was in the ring, Patterson tagged Bravo, and the two singles champions locked up, much to the delight of the crowd.

The end came when Bravo hit Studd with a running clothesline.  The impact was so forceful and so momentous that both men were carried over the top rope to the outside.  The two men began to trade shots back and forth outside the ring as the referee started to administer his count, admonishing the wrestlers to get back into the ring. Studd gained the advantage and executed a crushing powerslam on Bravo on the floor outside the ring. Studd was able to roll back into the ring, but as Dino Bravo valiantly attempted to follow him, Pretty Boy Floyd hit him with a vicious kick to the ribs.  Pat Patterson came around and chase Creatchman away...but it was too late. Dino Bravo was unable to make it back into the ring in time, and that was all she wrote.

Result: Big John Studd and Huge Tom Lintz defeated Dino Bravo and Pat Patterson when Bravo was counted out of the ring at 12:23.

Big John Studd and Huge Tom Lintz advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

The Main Event

Robertson-Mosca.jpgvs.FujiArab.jpg

Dewey Robertson and Angelo Mosca vs. Hossein The Great Arab and Mr. Fuji

As much as the fans were buzzing from the previous match, the tension rose even higher as Norm Kimber announced it was time for the Main Event.  There has been an ever escalating pattern of violence between the four men in this match.  Fans will remember of course, that not long ago local favorite, strongman Dewey Robertson was attacked during an episode of Maple Leaf Wrestling, by The Great Hossein Arab. Robertson was simply giving an interview to Lord Athol Layton, explaining how he did not appreciate people like Hossein putting Canada down, when Hossein confronted him and spat in his face. Robertson and Hossein began to brawl when Mr. Fuji interfered and delivered a punishing kick to the back of Robertson, blindsiding him.  Fuji and Hossein went on to viciously work over the popular young Robertson, until of all people...Angelo Mosca came to the rescue.

When promoter Frank Tunney planned the brackets for this tournament, he made sure that these two teams were scheduled to meet in the first round.  Not only will this match determine who moves on, but this will also give all four men a chance to settle their differences for the first time since the incident that took place two weeks ago on Maple Leaf Wresting.

Things got off to a molten start right away, as Mr. Fuji and Hossein came down the ramp to the ring.  Mr. Fuji proceeded to perform his traditional purifying ritual in his teams corner, while Hossein came to the ring proudly waving the flag of Iran.  The fans loudly voiced their displeasure, but the boos turned to cheers as Dewey Robertson and Angelo Mosca charged up the stairs from the dressing room, and down the ramp to the ring.  Referee Terry Yorkston was able to maintain control and keep the heroes at bay, waiting on the ramp while Norm Kimber made his introductions.  As soon as Robertson and Mosca entered the ring, the bell rang to start the match.

Mr. Fuji started things off for his team, squaring off against Angelo Mosca.  For the opening minutes of the bout, Mosca definitely held the upper hand and he battered Fuji from pillar to post. At one point, Mosca had Fuji slumped in the corner and was stomping on him with all his might, much to the delight of the packed house. Eventually, Fuji was able to turn the tide with a few expertly aimed knife-edge chops and thrusts.  Once Mosca was down, Fuji held him in place for a long while with a nerve hold, applied to the neck.  Fuji eventually tagged in Hossein The Great Arab, but this gave Mosca a chance to dive for his corner and tag in Dewey Robertson. Once again, Maple Leaf Gardens came apart as Dewey Robertson leapt into the ring and charged at Hossein.

This was a back and forth affair.  For a long time, Robertson had the upper hand on Hossein and managed to dominate him with a series of fundamental Pro Wrestling moves like the clothesline and bodyslam.  Eventually, Hossein turned the tide and put on an exhibition of suplexes, leaving Robertson reeling.  After that, there was a prolonged period where Hossein The Great attempted to get Robertson to submit using his patented “Camel Clutch” however Angelo Mosca entered the ring and broke up the attempt with a well timed boot to the head of Hossein.  Both Mosca and Fuji were able to tag in and out of the match several times during this bout, which was truly a seesaw affair, with both teams gaining the advantage, only to lose it back again.

The end came when Hossein tried to pin Angelo Mosca following a side suplex.  Mosca kicked out, and in frustration, Hossein put Mosca in a full nelson and shouted instructions to Fuji at ringside.  Fuji nodded, and entered the ring.  In full sight of the referee and with Hossein still holding the struggling Mosca in place, Fuji reached into his tights and threw what appeared to be a large handfull of salt directly into the eyes of Mosca, blinding him.  Referee Terry Yorkston had no choice but to call for the bell.  Hossein then grabbed his flag from outside the ring and proceeded to repeatedly jab it into the abdomen of the blinded Mosca.  Fuji looked to assist in the assault, but he was stopped by a charging Dewey Robertson, who went outside and grabbed a folding chair and then cleared the ring.

Mr. Fuji and Hossein The Great Arab were escorted down the ramp to a cacophony of jeers and a deluge of garbage being thrown by the fans.  Dewey Robertson tended to the blinded Mosca as the house lights went up to end the show.

Result: Dewey Robertson and Angelo Mosca defeated Mr. Fuji and Hossein The Great Arab at 21:12, when Fuji was disqualified for throwing salt into the face of Mosca.

Dewey Robertson and Angelo Mosca advance to the Quarterfinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament.

That’s your report on the Opening Round of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament from Maple Leaf Gardens, Pro Wrestling fans.

Stay tuned for updated brackets and news about the upcoming rounds...more news to come!

matwatch.jpg

Quarterfinal Brackets finalized for NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament

Now that the opening round of the Tournament to crown new NWA International Tag Team Champions is in the books, the Quarterfinal Brackets have been announced.

Quarterfinal Bracket #1:

The Kelly Twins vs. Johnny Weaver & Mike Rotundo

This match will take place as the Main Event of the Maple Leaf Wrestling TV Taping at the Brantford Civic Center on Monday February 23, 1981.  The episode will air on Saturday, February 28.

Quarterfinal Bracket #2:

The Della Serra Brothers vs. Dominic DeNucci & Tony "Cannonball" Parisi

This match will take place as the Main Event of the Maple Leaf Wrestling TV Taping at the Brantford Civic Center on Monday March 2, 1981.  The episode will air on Saturday, March 7.

Quarterfinal Bracket #3:

Dewey Robertson & Angelo Mosca vs. Big John Studd & Huge Tom Lintz

This match will take place as the Main Event of the Maple Leaf Wrestling TV Taping at the Brantford Civic Center on Monday March 9, 1981.  The episode will air on Saturday, March 14.

*** ADDED STIPULATION: If the team of Dewey Robertson & Angelo Mosca win this match, whoever scores the pinfall will be granted a future shot at the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Champion, Big John Studd ***

Quarterfinal Bracket #3:

Abdullah The Butcher & The Sheik vs. Danny "Bullwhip" Johnson & Blackjack Mulligan

This match will take place as the Main Event of the Maple Leaf Wrestling live event at the Oshawa Civic Auditorium on Friday March 20, 1981

The Semifinals and Finals of the Tournament to crown the NEW NWA International Tag Team Champions

Will take place at Maple Leaf Gardens on

MARCH 29, 1981

More details to come!

7 hours ago, Dr. Dunk said:

I really like the write up. The pictures were a nice find and I'm having a hard time figuring out on who is the favorite in this.

4 hours ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

This is absolutely incredible. Great write ups. Great visuals. Only big feedback I would give would be to lighten everything up so that it isn't overly difficult to put out shows.This is an incredible show with incredible talent... all around awesome show!

Thank you very much for the feedback guys. :)

I am still tweaking my format, but my plan at this point is to just post the results for the live events, and only do detailed recaps for the TV tapings and monthly big events at Maple Leaf Gardens.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Thank you very much for the feedback guys. :)

I am still tweaking my format, but my plan at this point is to just post the results for the live events, and only do detailed recaps for the TV tapings and monthly big events at Maple Leaf Gardens.

That's my exact format after the matches in Greensboro later on tonight. Still debating if I want to run 2 loops per week, just like JCP did in 1981. They ran 730 shows that year!

Maple Leaf Wrestling
London, Ontario - London Gardens
February 26, 1981
Paid Attendance: 1,200

• Cocoa Samoa pinned Tim Gerrard
  • Doug Vines and Jeff Sword defeated Bob & Joe Marcus via pinfall
  • Sweet Daddy Siki defeated Iron Mike Sharpe via countout
  • Ricky “Soulman” Johnson, Sweet Ebony Diamond and George Wells went to a 20 Minute Draw with Huge Tom Lintz and The Kelly Twins
  • Dewey Robertson pinned Moose Morowski

5 hours ago, Dr. Dunk said:

That's my exact format after the matches in Greensboro later on tonight. Still debating if I want to run 2 loops per week, just like JCP did in 1981. They ran 730 shows that year!

I have been sticking to the schedule Maple Leaf Wrestling actually ran back in the late 70's and early 80's and am using the same arenas.  My only mistake (I think) was booking too many house shows for March.  In reality, the bread and butter of Maple Leaf Wrestling was their monthly shows at Maple Leaf Gardens, and their Monday Night TV Tapings in Brantford at the Civic Center.  They did run house shows on Thursdays and Fridays and sometimes Saturdays...but their schedule wasn't quite as packed as I have made it out to be for March.  I may have bit off more than I could chew.

It's interesting, because Maple Leaf Wrestling was basically being run in partnership between Jim Crockett Promotions and Frank Tunney, they used a lot of the same talent...which explains why Maple Leaf Wrestling only ran a couple of shows a week, the TV and then Thursdays and Fridays.  Most of the talent was booked in Mid-Atlantic the rest of the time.

And no wonder, if they ran 730 shows that year!  I don't envy you trying to emulate that!

Doing a bit of catching up and I love what you're doing with your format so far. Like I always said to everyone doing this, format is trial and error at first and you eventually find the right one that just clicks and I think you're on your way to do so.

As for the tournament itself, really unpredictable so far (legit thought Bravo & Patterson would go much further in the tournament than they did) and who knows who'll get the win in this one. As for the schedule, I feel like I'm lucky as Stampede doesn't have that big of a loop (pretty much Calgary, Edmonton & Regina every week, with a few shows in Medicine Hat monthly) but I admire you for trying to stick as much as you can with the Maple Leaf loop!

Maple Leaf Wrestling
Kitchener, Ontario - Kitchener Memorial Auditorium
February 27, 1981
Paid Attendance: 1,000

• George Wells pinned Tim Gerrard
  • Huge Tom Lintz and Kelly Kiniski went to a Double Countout
  • The Destroyer pinned Tony "Cannonball" Parisi
  • Billy Robinson pinned Sweet Ebony Diamond
  • Angelo Mosca pinned Moose Morowski