Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-08-10-NJPW] Riki Choshu vs Big Van Vader

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Champion Riki Choshu vs Vader - NJPW 8/10/89

HOSS FIGHT! Bill Watts eat your heart out! Good God Almighty, this is the wrestling I fucking live for! It is a step down from their 6/27/89, which finished #19 on the DVDVR rankings, but curiously this one which is a title change did not even place. This was fantastic! Vader dropped the title to Hashimikov in May, Choshu picked it up in July and now Vader has won it back. My theory is they were billing this tour as Japan vs USA vs USSR. I think they felt the need to throw the USSR a bone and have one of the Soviet Shooters win the title. They ultimately wanted to proceed with Vader as the Champion. After the Bigelow and Hashimikov matches, this reminded me why a good Hoss Fight is like nothing else. 

They immediately just bring it and are teeing off on over another. The intensity, the struggle, and the stiff shots are all here. Choshu wrestles Vader down with a Fujiwara armbar. When Vader comes up, he closes the gap and DEMOLISHES Choshu with a short-arm clothesline. He pauses to adjust his hip flexor and then works a Scorpion Deathlock. Using Choshu own move against him. Big Vader Splash in the corner and another beefy lariat. VADER CHARGES AND EATS THE BUCKLES! Back body drop! Enziguiri! Cut to Inoki on commentary. Love the transition! Only Vader can hurt Vader. Great way to generate a hope sequence with a ton of heat for Choshu who works a cross-armbreaker but Vader gets the ropes. Choshu wins a suplex struggle! Great bump here by Vader who rolls through it to make it like he was really launched. Vader tries to fight back and eventually lands a suplex. He goes for the Giant Splash, but CHOSHU LANDS A SUPERPLEX! VADER FUCKING BOUNCES OFF THE CANVAS! HOT DAMN! MACK TRUCK LARIAT! Choshu signals this is it! Crowd bites huge! Choshu beats him up on the outside. The tease a countout win for Choshu after another lariat. Choshu Lariat in the ring, but it only rocks the Big Man, he winds up for the kill MUTHAFUCKIN AIR VADER DROPKICK! Pops me and Hiroshi Hase huge! Hase couldnt believe it. Vader got up high and full explosion on the dropkick like he Jim Brunzell and decapitates Choshu. Vader follows up with a huge sunset flip for the win! I love how exaggerated the Sunset Flip was. 

Some great Vader offense, but really it was two big stretches of Choshu's offense and how Vader bumped & sold that did for me. Vader's dropkick was massive! This is the HOT SUMMER SHIT! ****1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1989-08-10-NJPW] Riki Choshu vs Big Van Vader
  • 2 years later...

Would have loved this to be slightly longer but as it stands it's all action and all violence for 10 blistering minutes. Phenomenal bumping from both guys and crazy athleticism in particular from Vader. Crowd goes wild for every moment of offense. ****