Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-09-15-AJPW] Shunji Takano & Shinichi Nakano vs Toshiaki Kawada & Ricky Fuyuki

Superstar Sleeze

All-Asia Tag Team Champions Shunji Takano & Shinichi Nakano vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Ricky Fuyuki - AJPW 9/15/88

This series ushered in the golden age of the All Asia Tag Team titles which climaxed with the very famous red-hot Can-Ams vs Kobashi & Kikuchi match. It really started with Footloose. It became more of a juniors/young lions division which gave it such a vibrant energy. There was a pretty big gulf between this and the first match on the 80s All Japan DVDVR rankings, but I through it was pretty comparable to the first match. Either we dont have Takano & Nakano title win on tape or it didnt make the set, they had just won the titles six days prior. 

Samson Fuyuki has shorn his locks but none of his powers. He and Takano engage in a heated slap fight at the beginning which is in line with their heated exchanges in July. Kawada gets trapped first being bowled over by the bigger Takano. Nakano dropkick. They work chinlocks on Kawada. Kawada wriggles free and converts into a Dragon Sleeper. Kawada tags out. They work a control segment on Nakano again nothing too special. They start working the back after a whip into the railings but much like the July match, the beginning is pretty pedestrian. Just like the first match it really kicks into high gear during Fuyuki's heat segment as they work the back. Nakano gets his receipt as he whips Fuyuki into the railing and then SMASHES a chair into his back. Great back work with plenty of abdominal stretches and they do another Torture Rack which I love. Some great Kawada saves just ripping kicks to the back I am really blanking on the transitions, but I picture Takano missing a charge and Fuyuki rolling through and tagging Kawada. Red-hot, rip-roaring Kawada HOT TAG! Back Handspring Elbow, Out of Control Lariats in the corner, Fuyuki hit his this time. In a very strange move, Nakano drops down with a legbar on Nakano. It resets the heat segment. It is double FIP with the same FIP which is unusual and also strange as that hot tag really felt like the final one. They work the leg here even better than the  back. Nakano uses his knee as a fulcrum placing Fuyuki's ankle there as Takano crashes down on it. Great figure-4 and single leg that really like it could be it until Kawada comes in and Takano hits his decapitation savant kick. That thins looks great. Flying clothesline by Nakano gets two. Theres some great clubbering in this. Nakano piledriver gets two! In the best spot of the match, Kawada pushes Nakano in the way of Takano's Bomb Away Knee Drop and then Fuyuki wrangles Takano, Kawada spinning heel kick and Fuyuki rolls into the pin for the win to regain the titles! 

Not as memorable as the first match which I think was more efficient and done in a way where the highspots really popped, but the it had many similarities with the hot heat segments on Fuyuki and exciting finish runs. I just think July had the better, more effective finish run. ***3/4 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1988-09-15-AJPW] Shunji Takano & Shinichi Nakano vs Toshiaki Kawada & Ricky Fuyuki