Pro Wrestling Only

1988 Rookie List

kevinmcfl

Here is a way-to-early list of rookies for 1988.  I admit that we are getting out of my comfort zone by 1988 and I need some help.  Some of these wrestlers might be already in our game but under different names.  Also, wrestlers coming from other countries and wrestling 10 matches in either the U.S. or Canada will be part of this rookie class.  If you know of anyone who should be in, let us know.

1988 ROOKIES

Al Farat

Bert Centeno

Bobby Starr

Chaz Taylor

Chuck Williams  (Rockin Rebel)

DC Drake

Dave Power

Dennis Allen

Johnny Weiss  (Johnny Hotbody)

Larry Power

Mike Samson

Mongolian Mauler

Ricky Rice

Solomon Grundy

Steve Gillespie

Steve Ray

Sunny Beach

Tony Stetson

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1988 Rookie Draft Order

The draft will be Thanksgiving Week.  The order was chosen by a number generator.

ROUND 1

1.  Wonder Woman Wrestling:  Cheryl Ruso

2.  PCW:  Dustin Rhodes

3.  NWA  (traded to PCW):  Gangrel

4.  WCW  (Traded to PCW):  Gary Albright

5.  AWA  (Traded to PCW):  Brian Lee

6.  WWF  (Traded to PCW):  Del Wilkes

7.  Mid-South Revolution (Traded to UWF)  (Traded to PCW):  Mike Enos

8.  UWF  (Traded to PCW):  Watne Bloom

9.  Twin States  (Trade to Revolution) (Traded to PCW):  Scotty the Body

ROUND 2

1.  Twin States  (Traded to Revolution)  (Traded to Pacific Coast Wrestling):  Reno Riggans

2.  UWF  (Traded to PCW):  Jerry Lynn

3.  Mid-South Revolution (Traded to UWF) (Traded to PCW):  George Hines

4.  WCW- Diamond Dallas Page  (Can't be used as a wrestler until 1991)

5.  NWA-Johnny Grunge

6.  PCW-Bob Holly

7.  WWW-Magnificent Mimi

ROUND 3

1.  Wonder Woman Wrestling- Roxy Astor

2.  PCW-Crash Holly

3.  NWA-Tom Brandi

4.  WCW- Anthony Durante

5.  Mid-South Revolution- Dennis Knight

6.  Twin States:  Jamie Dundee

ROUND 4

1.  Twin States:  Brian Lawler

2.  Mid-South Revolution:  Big Money Marcus 

3.  WCW:  Gary Wolfe

4.  NWA:  Bart Sawyer

5.  PCW:  Don Callis

Round 5

1.  PCW:   Louis Mucciolo/Louie Spiccoli. 

2.  WCW:  Zeus

4.  Mid-South Revolution:  Brad Anderson

Round 6

1.  Mid-South:  Terry Power

2.  WCW:  Derrick Dukes

3.  PCW:  Rod Price

Round 7

1.  PCW:  Tommy Cairo

2.  Mid-South:  Bobby Blaze

Round 8:

1.  Mid-South:  Lou Perez

2.  PCW

Round 9:

1.  PCW

2.  Mid-South

*** Wonder Woman Wrestling has been added to the regular draft as there are a few females on the list that others may may be interested in.  If you do chose a female during the draft, I ask that you share that wrestler with Scarlet as his choices are limited.  

- ALL DRAFT PICKS CAN BE TRADED

- DRAFT WILL BE A SNAKE DRAFT

-  DRAFT WILL LAST UNTIL LAST PERSON DROPS OUT

- ALL ROSTERS MUST BE AT THE CAP BY JAN 1.

-  DRAFTED WRESTLERS CAN NOT BE USED UNTIL JAN 1.

-  ANYONE WHO JOINS DAWN OF WAR BETWEEN NOW AND THE DRAFT, WILL BE ADDED TO THE END OF THE 1st ROUND.

-  PLEASE CHECK THE LIST OF WRESTLERS AND MANAGERS TO SEE IF ANYONE NEEDS TO BE ADDED OR IS ALREADY IN THE GAME UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME.

• 2 months later...

For some reason, I had recalled reading somewhere that he started as a wrestler, switched over to managing early on after an injury, then switched back to managing in 1991. I have searched and found no verifiable evidence or matches from this. Yes, he certainly should be available as a manager, he was managing Badd Company at this time.

The story I've always heard was....he trained briefly in the early 80's, had one match and got hurt...left the business as quickly as he got in....then rejoined as strictly a manager in '88.....then a few years later he got retrained and started actually wrestling after being told he was "too big to be a manager" towards the end of his time managing the Diamond Studd...which was very late '91, early '92.

• 3 weeks later...

Damien Kane is in.

DC Drake is in

Tony Stetson is in 

Johnny Grunge is in

Both Cagematch and Wrestlingdata have Damien DeMento as starting in 1990 and don't have any matches listed before that.

While I do see that wrestlingdata says Balls Mahoney debut in 1987, I see no evidence of matches until 1992 on either website.  He would also only be 15 in January 1988.  I vote to keep him out until 1992 but will listen to others here.  

Was trying to get more information on DeMento and Mahoney to confirm but my computer was being stupid and couldn't bring the web pages up. Looking at early ECW rosters and east coast indies and have a few more, going by the Wikipedia debut dates, if they don't qualify for other reasons I understand.

Tom Brandi, Bill Demott, both members of the Cream Team (Dino Casanova and Rip Sawyer), Chris Hamrick, Dr. Luther, Steve Gillespie/Dr. Hannibal

Edit :

OK, DeMott is a bit of a strange case. Wikipedia has his debut as 1988, where others have it as 1990. Here is the direct quote from the Wikipedia page.

DeMott was trained by Johnny Rodz in his New York City wrestling school beginning in 1988. From there he began working at small independent promotions using the name Big Sweet Williams. In 1992 DeMott began wrestling for the Americas Wrestling Federation and started using the name Crash the Terminator.

A bit of a grey area, can't find any matches in Cagematch from that early period. Any judges ruling on this is fine with me, just want to give people options.

Great job Rain.

We have been using Wrestlingdata.com and cagematch as they do list recorded matches.  I think with only a few of us as writers, we would be considered the major promotions of the time and we should be looking to take the best.  I would prefer to wait until we have actual match statistics from either of these two sites to enter them into Dawn of War but I will listen to majority rules here.  

According to those sites

Tom Brandi is in

Dino Casanova isn't in until 1991

Rip Sawyer not in until 1991

Chris Hamrick not in until 1990

Dr. Luther, while it says he debuted in 1988, no matches shown until 1989, would rather wait

Steve Gillespie is in