Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-07-24-WWF-MLG] Greg Valentine vs Don Muraco

Superstar Sleeze

Greg Valentine vs Don Muraco - WWF MLG 7/24/88

Pete aka @shoe asked me to watch this to make sure he was not crazy and @Matt D has also given this a glowing review. I agree with my two good friends this match is better than expected. One of my talking points has been Valentine could still go in 1988-89 but was stuck with Beefcake, Muraco and Steele. I wrote two Valentine vs Muraco for my blog. I liked the Primetime Wrestling match as a pleasant surprise. I didnt seem to care from MSG in July but that may have been due to Superstar Graham's inane prattling that it was Muraco's lifelong dream to rid the world of the Hammer. This match was definitely very good and was better than MSG match up based on my write up.

Muraco jumpstarted the match. I enjoyed Hammer resetting trying to regain control only to be thwarted by Muraco who goes after the arm. Valentine works three great vintage TIMBBBBAAAHHHH bumps into the match, one right at the start. One of the reasons why this match is so good is because Muraco is so energetic in his arm work. He is slamming Valentine's arm into every inanimate object he can find. Valentine's selling is so good. I really liked the climax of the Shoulderbreaker at the end of the shine. Valentine takes control on a blind charge into the corner. Valentine is his usual excellent self clubbering away. One thing that surprises me about this match is I would have figured the only way this match would be good would be Valentine going on offense early and offense. It is proof that there is more than one way to skin a cat as Muraco worked on top for most of the match. Valentine works the leg like a champ. I would be remiss not to mention, the Hartbreaker shinguard that adds extra pressure to the Figure-4. Gorilla does a great job bitching about it and emphasizing it. Muraco gets a punch into the bread basket and nice TIMMMBBBAAAAAHHHH. Nice piledriver by Muraco! Muraco really brought it on offense. Valentine goes back to the Figure-4 but kicked off. Muraco I think hits a clothesline for the third TIIIMMMMMBAAAHHHH bump. Muraco hits a wicked Tombstone but Hammer's foot clocks the ref. He is out. Hammer whacks him with the Hartbreaker to win! Awesome finish. A match that definitely exceeds expectations. ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1988-07-24-WWF-MLG] Greg Valentine vs Don Muraco