Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-03-12-Joint Promotions] Mick McMichael vs Vic Faulkner

SAMS

1980-03-12
Joint Promotions
Mick McMichael vs Vic Faulkner
Digbeth, Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
★★★★

McMichael here was billed as “Popular” Mick McMichael, which I don’t recall from his last match, but I can see why he’s so popular. At first glance he’s somebody who could easily be overlooked. He’s big, but not impressively so, probably closer to plump. His build is maybe like a Buddy Rose if the fat looked more solid. However, despite his build and the preconceived notions that may come with it, he can do the technical stuff, especially to the general level required to compete in WoS. His matwork is crisp and he can get around the ring when he needs to, but the key I think is his impeccable timing, especially in regards to when to sprinkle in aspects of comedy into the match. He knows how to interact with the crowd; with the referee; and with his opponent to great effect. In this match he walked the line between cheating and not cheating (throwing punches and grabbing some hair etc.) without going overboard with it but also keeping it interesting and it not feeling like token work. 
Faulkner, for his end, was absolutely no slouch either as he definitely brought his fair share to the party. I thought he had a solid, well established character of that classic true sportsman but with a cheek to him that surfaces every now and then. Overall I thought this was a great example of two wrestler’s acts synthesising together extremely well combined with two excellent performances. However special mention for McMichael, who’s general schtick I find to be so effortlessly entertaining.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1980-03-12-Joint Promotions] Mick McMichael vs Vic Faulkner
  • 8 months later...

This was a total blast. It's such a natural pairing, because McMichael is an experienced veteran with limited stamina, while Faulkner loves to bump around the ring for him. This also works because it has a bit of everything: solid matwork, good pace, counters and just a little bit of comedy this time around; it's all savvily mixed and it gives us 15 good minutes that are as good as anything else you could see today. McMichael is almost tempted to cheat because Faulkner is too unpredictable at times, but then decides not to and the stalemate gives us a double pinfall at the end
***1/2