Pro Wrestling Only

Shinya Aoki

Grimmas

Control21:

Aoki is probably more of an outside-the-box nominee, but he has had a very solid run in the past couple of years as a former MMA guy who can work both solid shoot-style matches and entertaining comedy stuff. Like Daisuke Nakamura, he is an extremely talented grappler and his technical skills are easily translated inside a wrestling ring. He is quite consistent as well and usually avoids putting on bad matches just because his fundamentals are really good.

vs Kazusada Higuchi (10/12/2022)

vs Takanori Ito (12/30/2022)

vs Tetsuya Izuchi (3/7/2023)

vs Masakatsu Funaki (6/2/2017)

vs HARASHIMA (2/17/2019)

vs HARASHIMA (10/28/2018)

Surprised he didn't have a thread before. Based on my very limited viewing of the 2024 Chihiro match and 2017 Fujiwara, I think he's taken Akiyama's spot as the best current guy in Japan. Beastly grappler who's a total natural with his character work.

I've also loved a lot from the little I've seen of Aoki. Unfortunately (for us) he seems to prioritize his MMA and grappling career over pro wrestling, even after two decades in the sport. Even still, I'd recommend quite a few people check him out whenever he pops up in DDT, GLEAT or any other wrestling show.