Pro Wrestling Only

Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin 3 DVD set

sek69

For a guy who's whole character was the no-BS asskicker, it sure is odd hearing Steve be so diplomatic. I lol'd at him recapping how he won the King of the Ring because "Vince had to bring the hammer down on some people who had behavior problems" without naming names. He makes it pretty clear that while he respects what HBK can do in the ring, he's not crazy about him as a person and didn't really care to team with him during their "wacky partners" angle. I was also surprised to hear how much he credits ECW and Paul Heyman for basically creating the foundation for the Stone Cold character by letting him do those shoot-style promos. Also nice was that Austin was the only person interviewed for the DVD. No random Steve Lombardi cameos. no Triple H commenting what a fan of Steve he is, surprisingly no JR either (and this would be the one time his appearance on a DVD would actually have context).

Here's the listing from an Amazon review:

Disk 1

Austin speaks on when and how he began wrestling. Teaming up with Brian Pillman. He talks about being fired from WCW and Paul E. eventually picking him. Then his run in the WWE. He talks about a couple of angles as well. There are lots of clips showing these events. The matches featured here are;

Steelcage match for the WCW Titles

Hollywood Blondes vs. Dos Hombres, Slamboree 5-23-93

vs. Brian Pillman, Clash of Champions XXV 11-10-93

WCW US Title

vs. Ricky Steamboat, Clash of the Champions XXVIII 8-28-94

Triangle Match for ECW Title

vs. Sandman vs. Mikey Whipwreck, 12-9-95

Caribbean Strap Match

vs. Savio Vega, Beware of Dog 2, 5-26-96

#1 Contender for WWE Title

vs. Bret Hart, Survivor Series 11-16-96

Extras

vs. Yokozuna, Summerslam Free For All 8-18-96

Stone Cold/Terry Funk Confrontation, Shotgun Saturday Night 1-18-97

Disk 2

Austin speaks on the impact that his submission match with Bret did for his career. As well as teaming up and fighting against Shawn Michaels. He also speaks about his feud with Kane and teaming up with Dude Love. Plus his neck injury during the match with Owen Hart. There are lots of clips in between showing these events. The matches are as follows;

WWE Title Match

vs. Undertaker, Cold Day in Hell 5-11-97

World Tag Team Titles Match

Austin & Shawn Michaels vs. Owen Hart & British Bulldog, RAW 5-26-97

vs. Shawn Michaels, King of the Ring 6-9-97

World Tag Team Titles

Austin & Dude Love vs. Owen Hart & British Bulldog, RAW 7-14-97

IC Title

vs. Owen Hart, Summerslam 8-3-97

WWE Title

vs. Dude Love, Unforgiven 4-26-98

First Blood Match for WWE Title

vs. Kane, King of the Ring 6-28-98

WWE Title

vs. Kane 6-29-98

The extras only consist of Austin speaking on his feud with Vince supported by several clips.

Disk 3

Austin speaks on his feud with The Rock. He says Rock brought out the best in him plus their Wrestlemania X-7 Match gave his career life again. The feud with Triple H and his second neck injury are touched up on. He also mentions that he hand picked Eddie Guerrero for one of his matches. These are the matches;

No Holds Barred for the WWE Title

vs. The Rock, Backlash 4-25-99

Non Title

vs. Eddie Guerrero, Smackdown 11-16-00

No DQ Match

vs. Triple H, Survivor Series 11-19-00

Three Stages of Hell

vs. Triple H, No Way Out, 2-25-01

No DQ for the WWE Title

vs. Rock, Wrestlemania X-7 4-1-01

Yeah, I think at this point we should just forget about ever expecting to see anything with Benoit on a WWE production.

Amend that to say compilation. They don't go out of their way to edit him off full shows, but don't feel compelled to include him where they don't need to. That's a wise decision, IMO.

Yeah, I think at this point we should just forget about ever expecting to see anything with Benoit on a WWE production.

Amend that to say compilation. They don't go out of their way to edit him off full shows, but don't feel compelled to include him where they don't need to. That's a wise decision, IMO.

Actually they do. Other than a few stray pics on the website and a few mentions of his name on 24/7, 99% of his existence has been removed from history.

I think it would be fun to do some type of Steve Austin career thing here at PWO, especially because he reinvented himself so many times.

I was just watching the Austin/Helmsley match from Buried Alive back in '96 last night, for example, and thought it was a really fun match. Nearly destroyed by Jim Ross doing his obnoxious heel gimmick and them running the gag of his mic not working properly way too long, but still a fun match.

Sek, I'm talking dvd releases of shows, not just full shows on 24/7.

One problem with compilations is that it really exposes how Jim Ross would say the same thing every month. "This looks like a car wreck on [local interstate]". "Some idiot will say they know how to fall." Etc.

Actually they do. Other than a few stray pics on the website and a few mentions of his name on 24/7, 99% of his existence has been removed from history.

Well, the SummerSlam box set is supposed to come out this year and I believe Meltzer reported that they intend to keep the Benoit matches in tact.

Compilations, OTOH...forget about any Benoit match in them.

I don't know what's so hard to understand, since the murders there's been no footage of Benoit on either DVD or 24/7. I don't know why you think it's some weird conspiracy theory, there hasn't been any mention of him since it happened and Christ knows every DVD release there's people bitching "OMG Y NO BENOIT MATCHEZ?" If they release a box set, they're going to have to include him or face the wrath of people dropping that kind of coin on an incomplete product, but other than that I don't see any change to their policy.

Maybe I'm alone, but I really don't give a shit whether they include him or don't include him, and see it as a non-issue that gets talked about way too much.

I'm just getting tired of people shocked over it. That and WWE somehow thinking that doing it makes the problem go away.

Maybe I'm alone, but I really don't give a shit whether they include him or don't include him, and see it as a non-issue that gets talked about way too much.

I'm just getting tired of people shocked over it. That and WWE somehow thinking that doing it makes the problem go away.

The people who go on about how it's "Yet another Vince McMahon move to rewrite wrestling history" are particularly stupid.

• 1 month later...