Pro Wrestling Only

Amateur wrestling people still get this butthurt over pro wrestling?

Bix

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-...,7829838.column

A reality check: Wrestling vs. WWE 'rasslin'

David Whitley

SPORTS COMMENTARY

March 27, 2008

WrestleMania 24 is coming to town, and a lot of people are wondering what it's really all about. Let me put it in terms anyone can understand.

Two hard-boiled eggs.

That's what Jason Robbins had to eat Wednesday.

Two eggs, a petite sirloin, hash browns, wheat toast and a foot massage.

I'm guessing that's what the average World Wrestling Entertainment star had for breakfast.

The WWE guys are training for Sunday's big event at the Citrus Bowl. Robbins is training for Saturday's U.S. Olympic qualifier in Washington.

He's a wrestler, an honorable and ancient sport requiring strength, guile and ungodly sacrifice.

Then there's the WWE's "rasslin," an honorable and ancient charade requiring the ability to hit someone in the head with a folding chair without doing any damage.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Rasslers sometimes get hurt. So do stunt men, but that doesn't make the movie any more real.

Just as wearing tights doesn't make somebody a wrestler. Especially sequined tights.

"They're entertainers," Robbins said. "I do it for sport."

He's a 22-year-old graduate of Oviedo High, where he was a four-time state champ and went 198-0. Robbins went to Arizona State but is back home training for the Olympics.

He competes in the 66 kilo (145.5-pound) class. It's currently "crunch time," the final push before Friday's weigh in.

That explains the near-starvation rations, and it makes what Robbins does between non-meals all the more mind boggling. Compare his routine to a typical rassler's day.

6 a.m. -- Robbins: Six-mile run. Rassler: Hit snooze button.

9-11 a.m. -- Robbins: Practice, rope climbing followed by an ice bath. Rassler: Tanning bed followed by a hot-tub session.

12:30 p.m. -- Robbins: Six-mile run. Rassler: Drive to legal symposium on how to deny taking steroids without committing perjury.

2 p.m. -- Robbins: High-intensity weight training. Rassler: Biceps curls followed by high-intensity preening in front of mirror.

2:50 p.m. -- Robbins: One-mile dash. Rassler: Scurry to post office to pick up unmarked package of supplements.

3-8 p.m. -- Robbins: Practice culminating in Iron Man bout where he takes on six fresh wrestlers without a break. Rassler: Memorize WrestleMania script while waiting for plastic surgeon to inspect latest breast implants.

(Note: also applies to women rasslers).

8-9 p.m. -- Robbins: Ice down, study video of Russian wrestlers. Rassler: Ice down a few beers, study video of Liza Minnelli's entrance in Cabaret.

9:30 p.m. -- Robbins: Go to bed. Rassler: Go to Ruth's Chris.

Not that Robbins sleeps all that well since his stomach gurgles all night. He did splurge recently. Robbins went to his girlfriend's house and watched her and her parents eat dinner. He enjoyed a nice cup of ice.

"You've got to be insane to do this," he admits.

It will all be worth it when he makes the prescribed weight on Friday, then treats himself to some rice or pasta. Actually, the payoff could come in a few months.

That would be representing his country in Beijing, where there will be no BunnyMania Lumberjack Match.

I'm happy Vince McMahon is bringing his circus to town. It's good for our economy. And I think I speak for every citizen when I say how proud we will be to have Undertaker in our midst.

Call what he does entertaining, call it popular, call it fun.

But for Robbins' sake, please don't call it wrestling.

In 2008, is there really any reason for this? It's beyond petty at this point. Pro wrestling exists, is a work, and is more popular than amateur wrestling. Get over it and embrace UFC, at least that's constuctive.

It seems like amateur wrestling people are like the "don't you know that stuff is fake?" crowd turned to 11. I honestly thing they believe that bumps don't hurt, blood is fake, weapon shots don't really hit. Perhaps they believe in stunt grannies too.

Do doctors write articles about how House and ER are discrediting their fine profession? If so, I'd kind of like to see that. It's got to be pretty humorous stuff. Wrestling is fake. And? We know.

Amateur wrestling is about as relevant a sport as field hockey, slalom skiing, and triathalon. Which is to say, not at all. Who cares what amateur wrestlers think? If anything the sanity of amateur wrestlers should be questioned for training so hard in a profession that has such a low celing of payoff. If you're going to dedicate yourself to the glorious persuit of athletics, at least have enough common sense to make it potentially profitable in the process.

Actually I suppose that reference isn't quite valid. There's probably way more money in being a top triathlete or European skiing star than there is in being an olympic champion wrestler that avoids going pro or switching into MMA.

I also adore the line:

That explains the near-starvation rations

When you have to wear this as a badge of pride, what you do is retarded beyond any rational defense. This is really not a point I'd have brought up in defense of the amateur game. It's like a Grand Theft Auto radio call in show. How did it go? "When I played football we wore leather helmets! One side of my face is paralyzed! But it was worth it! WE WON THE GAME!"

Let me get this straight.....last year, a pro "rassler" of some notoriety MURDERED HIS FAMILY - probably at least partially as a result of his profession - and the best knock that this dude can take at wrestlers is that they like steak? I mean, it's stupid and petty enough for amateur wrestling dudes to still be shook over pro wrestling, but if you're going to attack them, at least do it right. Pro wrestling has a veritable buffet of loathsomeness to attack, and this is the best the guy can manage? Unreal.

In all fairness to amateur wrestlers,

"They're entertainers," Robbins said. "I do it for sport."

"You've got to be insane to do this," he admits.

Those are the only quotes from Jason Robbins, and they are both perfectly reasonable responses to give to a reporter. The problem here isn't the amateur wrestlers, it's a sports columnist writing an opinion column and adding some obligatory quotes.