Pro Wrestling Only

Bracket #2, Round #2, Match #8

Loss

Vote for the wrestler that you think had the better career in WWE (whether you base that on impact or match quality is your decision), from 1985 to 2005. Voting will end tomorrow evening at the latest. Please give the wrestler's name first and any explanation thereafter. Thanks.

Guest The Man in Blak

Bad News Brown

Slaughter's Iraqi Sympathizer angle was one of the most insulting gimmicks that the company had ever done at the time and it resulted in Slaughter having one of the weaker championship runs of the 90's. That tends to sour me on a lot of Slaughter's accomplishments during this time period. Probably not the right vote, but it's my vote.

Bad News Brown

Like MiB, I just don't feel comfortable voting for Slaughter anymore. He's already made it further in this tournament than he really should have and while he got huge heat during the Gulf War era, he did it in a way that turned off a lot of fans and created big controversy, and there are some fun matches in that time, but I don't know that there are any good matches during that time. That's really the only thing he has to his advantage during a time when he was active as a worker. Brown never got a chance at that level, and I think he would have succeeded had he, just because his character was so ahead of its time and he was protected by not having anyone else act as such a lone wolf while he was doing it. The Piper feud isn't one of my favorites, and neither is the Jake feud, but I love his feud with Bret and his SNME matches against Hogan and Savage. Slaughter is by far the bigger star, in any era, but I'm going with Brown for sentimental reasons.

Bad News Brown

The only thing I remember Sgt. Slaughter doing was becoming an Iraqi sympathizer and losing to Hogan at Wrestlemania. Most of his good shit came before '85. At least I assume. When he randomly still comes out to be the sympathetic, patriotic babyface in this day and age (like he did against Hassan & La R?sistance) it's a joke to me.

"Bad News" had the Harlem Sewer Rats and double-crossed Bret in the battle royal with a "Ghetto Blaster." That's better than Sarge running around with Iron Shiek and Adnon only to get a legdrop.

Bad News Brown

The only thing I remember Sgt. Slaughter doing was becoming an Iraqi sympathizer and losing to Hogan at Wrestlemania. Most of his good shit came before '85. At least I assume.

You assume correctly. In the late 70s and early 80s, Slaughter was as a big a star as anyone in the country, and was one of the best workers in the world. 1985 was his last really good year in the ring, and the Hogan run came years and years after the mystique of a Hulk Hogan/Sgt. Slaughter match would have done huge business.

Guest teke184

Bad News Brown

Sarge's only run here was the "Iraqi sympathizer run" in the early 90s. I don't see his mini-feud against DX counting for much.

Guest Some Guy

Slaughter.

Sarge had the brief run with the belt and I do count his role as Commish to be a part of the vote. It was part of his post-1985 WWF career. Bad News had the run with Savage and that was it. I liked Bad News, more than Slaughter but Sarge's WWF career has been better.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Down with the Brown.

Going by the timeframe we're using here, Slaughter did little worth remembering. The guy was nothing after that angle ran its course. Brown could've been huge had they allowed heels that weren't freakish monsters to climb the rungs back then.