Pro Wrestling Only

John Laurinitis

Loss

I don't really think there was a conspiracy to get Lawler to quit, so I'd believe the Chyna thing. I just don't see why they'd want to get rid of him. He was hugely popular at the time. He was announcing Smackdown, and continued to after he came back until they split the brands. He's the one announcer Vince apparently doesn't yell at. They brought him back as soon as he wanted back in, and has had the job ever since. It seems like Vince loves the guy.

Didn't Stacy claim at one point she got fired after her and Chyna had a falling out and Chyna went to management?

yes Chyna claimed that Carter was firting with Hunter. Don't know if that was the reason but sounds like it could be.

IIRC she "joked" about giving him a blow job and Chyna was there or heard about it

Off topic but that reminds of when Hunter was on Stern and said Chyna did not allow him to look at or speak to female fans at autograph signings. He had to keep his head down and sign

Edit: Eh the Hunter/Stacy/Chyna thing happened in late 1999/early 2000 and Carter wasn't fired until Feb 2001 so who knows

I would agree with that for the most part, except there were less cases of things like this happening when Jim Ross was in the same position.

I'm not sure Laurinaitis has done anything quite as stupid as allowing Jeff Jarrett's contract to lapse before he dropped the IC title (at a time when the belt still meant something), allowing Jarrett to hold the company to ransom at a time when a promotional war was still going on.

Not that I disagree that Ross was overall more productive in the position than Laurinaitis. Though I think you overstate the blame that you place on him for developmental being such a shambles. Vince may have been batshit crazy enough to shut down developmental altogether and he probably doesn't want to recruit real athletes anymore after being burned by Angle, Lesnar and Lashley.