Pro Wrestling Only

Interesting notes/tidbits/BS found in the PWT Wrestling Observer scans

goc

From the 3/7/94 Observer, regarding Jim Ross' contract expiring and not being renewed around the time of his first bout with Bell's Palsy:

It is believed Titan wanted to change Ross' image from being a straight announcer to a comedy character role wearing a cowboy hat and using the name J.R., doing a J.R. Ewing type character.

I can't remember where I read it but I do remember reading that Ross was very opposed to doing this for a long time. When he finally relented I recall him taking a few jabs at it on-air and in his WWF magazine columns.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Carl Styles had a pretty big run in the final days of Portland Wrestling as a lackey to the Grappler. He also had a run in Memphis in the early 90's teaming with Tom Prichard and Eric Embry vs guys like Lawler and Dirty White Boy. Didn't he also wrestle with a glass Eye? I remember reading in the old John Mcadam lists about how he did a angle with some heel where he got his eye taken out as heel heat.

He did have a glass eye, I remember watching that angle. I believe Styles also worked in Memphis in the mid-80's as Dr. D and held that AWA Tag straps with Hector Guerrero for about a week, trading them with Lawler & Dundee.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Andrews

It is believed Titan wanted to change Ross' image from being a straight announcer to a comedy character role wearing a cowboy hat and using the name J.R., doing a J.R. Ewing type character.

Funny enough, at Super Brawl II Jesse Ventura comments that if Ross wore a big cowboy hat that he'd look like JR Ewing.

That's glorious!

• 10 months later...