Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-06-08-ECW-TV] Interview: Terry Funk

Loss

• 2 months later...

Paul E. Dangerously quickly interrupts Funk, as the Dark Patriot wants to face Funk in a match prior to the chain match with Eddie Gilbert, but Funk wants to know who he is. This is all very weirdly timed, because the announcers are bad and Paul E. is cowering for no real reason.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

This Texas Chain Match has gotten even more hype than Kid/Razor II. Paul E. comes out and Tod does a terrible job of acting scared and awkward, trying to get Terry to calm down even though he's not doing anything. This was all really, really weird and nobody seems to be on the same page with anybody else. Why'd Paul E. come out alone if he's so petrified of Funk?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I think Heyman was trying for fawning respect, not cowardice. There's not really much difference, but as some have said before me, it makes no snese for Paul to be afraid here.

Tod Gordon is awful as a color man. I'm nor sure who else ECW could afford at this time, but anybody would have been better. Hell, bring Dick "Man, don't ya love it!" Graham out of retirement.

Of course, we all know that the Dark Patriot is really Doug Gilbert. I'd like to have seen the match to find out what happened once Terry realized this.

Speaking as a Bruno fan, hearing Terry called "The Living Legend" bugs me. Call him anything else, including "Asshole" and "Late For Dinner". I'm more convinced than ever now that they wanted Bruno at first for an ambassador's role, couldn't get him, and are using the nickname he made famous for Terry in order to rub his nose in it (or so they think). If this promotion hadn't been based in Philadelphia, the heart of Bruno country, I might have felt differently. "Hardcore Legend" I don't mind at all. Same with "Middle Aged and Crazy".

They can dump the "King of Philly" routine for the same reason as far as I'm concerned. Face it, Eddie, there's only one city in America that has a wrestling king, and you couldn't dethrone him, either in the ring or behind the scenes. Deal with it.

I thought I saw something about Dick being the original announcer for ECW. I wonder why they stopped using him. What I'd have loved to see is PRISM somehow gaining the rights to JCP's Philly cards and hear him teamed up with David Crockett. I don't know how long my ears could have taken it, but it would have been something to hear regardless.

The "King" stuff isn't even new to Philly, since Lawler has wrestled many indy dates there and always worn the crown. Maybe the endgame for all this at one time was for Lawler to come in and challenge the winner of this feud, since whoever it would be hates his guts anyhow. There's just something about Eddie pushing this gimmick that makes me tired. What's the matter with just being Hot Stuff?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-06-08-ECW-TV] Interview: Terry Funk