Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-06-12-WWF-Superstars] Update: Diesel debuts

Loss

• 2 months later...

Clips of Diesel's debut, helping Shawn Michaels regain the Intercontinental title from Jannetty. However, Michaels must face Crush at King of the Ring, and Gorilla Monsoon seems to really relish in that. Both Crush and Shawn do interviews, Shawn with Diesel in the background.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Magazine stills from Albany, NY where Shawn regains the Intercontinental title, via help from his "new bodyguard." On Raw he was simply referred to as "my insurance policy," so they obviously hadn't pinned down a name yet. Gorilla gloats over Shawn having to turn around and defend the belt against Crush at KOTR. Way to put the new champ over, Monsoon.

Crush delivers an awful promo, even by his standards. Shawn's whiny, pouty response is much better.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Had Marty gone off the wagon or something? It seems to me like a Michaels-Jannetty rematch would have been a much bigger deal than a match with Crush. It would have been a great place to debut Nash out of nowhere foo.

I'm guessing that Okerlund was either on the outs with Vince or in the hospital for his liver problems. He doesn't leave for good until after SummerSlam, so I assume that he'll be back at least a few more times between now and then.

Normally I don't have a problem with Gino cheering for the faces, but Update's supposed to be a straight news segment, especially when it announces title changes and such, so his mocking of Shawn grated a little here. The only trouble is, Lord Alfred had turned into a heel-favoring curmudgeon by now, so there really isn't anyone on the roster capable of playing it straight until Mean Gene comes back.

Shawn's short promo was fine, but Adams' Hawaiian accent absolutely reeks, and it makes him sound like a stupid airheaded jock. Even if it's an accent that a native Hawaiian would use in real life (which I suspect it's not), he needs to tone it down several notches. By the way, Don Muraco (a native Hawaiian, no less) mysteriously developed a similar accent during his face days, and it ruined his promos too.

Interesting to see Flair featured in the commercial for the Royal Rumble game. I would have thought that Vince would have been shoveling dirt on him like it was going out of style by now.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-06-12-WWF-Superstars] Update: Diesel debuts