Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-10-WCW-Saturday Night] Lost in Cleveland

Loss

• 2 months later...

"Collette and Dewey" show up to job Cactus's memory, but Miss Bang Bang has moved camp so no one knows where he is, until Wendell, reformed homeless guy now wearing a tie and clean shaven, takes them where they need to go. Why am I typing this? Anyway, even when seeing his wife and son, he doesn't remember who they are.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess all those concerns about exposing a pregnant Collette to Cleveland weren't really that important. Bang Bang has made Cactus move and--oh, for fuck's sake, forget it. The homeless guy doesn't look any different, except he wears a dress shirt and tie now. Cactus has now become some sort of Phil Connors-esque inspirational guiding light for his whole territory. Seems like he's contributing more to society through this than he is through wrestling.

Foley is practically catatonic throughout all of this, which stands out considering how good of an actor he normally is. Normally I'm of the, "Fuck you, do you're paid to do" mentality--be it acting or wrestling--but in this case I can't blame him a bit. Meanwhile Catherine White is obviously prepping for a big community theater audition.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, I think we've reached the end of the line here. The next one of these (which I don't believe made the set) should be the last one, with Cactus reclaiming his memory and family and setting his sights on getting revenge on Vader. If they draw it out any more, it's going to be hard to care what they do, even if it ends happily.

I didn't think the acting here was all that horrible, considering the material they were doing. This isn't Shakespeare; it's not even All My Children​. I truly hope that wasn't really Dewey Foley, though. He looks to be too young to understand that Daddy's just playing around when he says that he doesn't know him.

It still seems to me like Bang Bang's auditioning for a heel run. I wonder if she ever worked in the business again after this (assuming it wasn't Jackie/Miss Texas in the first place).

Kathy (I'm still working on the assumption that this is Kathy Gagne-Zbyszko, since it's never been definitively proven otherwise) has improved a bit over these segments. If anyone's been working with her, it's probably Larry, since I don't believe either Greg or Verne could act their way out of a Ziploc bag, even in a wrestling skit. (Actually, we have proof that Greg stinks; remember the Rambo skits with Sarge?)

True enough, Pete. I guess that means the entire WCW production staff was in on it from the beginning, which means that the suits at Turner Broadcasting were in on it as well, making this the first-ever legitimate conspiracy against a heel (Vader) in the history of professional wrestling. Am I close?

It would've been better just to have Mick interfere at Beach Blast out of nowhere and hit Vader in the head with a chair.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-10-WCW-Saturday Night] Lost in Cleveland