Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-17-WWF-Superstars] Update: Lex Luger

Loss

• 2 months later...

We get a recap of Lex Luger slamming Yokozuna on the USS Intrepid. They announce that Luger is touring America in a Call To Action campaign to promote America and lobby for a title shot against Yokozuna at Summerslam. Gorilla aggressively pushes for fans to write and fax Jack Tunney.

We also get our first shot of the Lex Express!

• 2 years later...

Call To Action campaign has begun. Luger wants the fans to harass Tunney into giving Lex a title shot against against Yokozuna. Moonsoon, “I understand from a reliable source though the gorilla line inside that hideous office of the president that a decision will be made next week on that particular issue.” Gorilla undermining Tunney already to set himself up as the next president of the WWF? Lex Express! Gorilla is so over the top biased during this segment.

• 3 weeks later...

God, even Monsoon is practically creaming himself over the Bodyslam Heard 'Round the World. Monsoon follows this up by gushing about this Great Land of Ours and Luger's trip across it, hoping to flood the offices of Jack Tunney with cards, faxes, and telegrams demanding a title shot.

I'm really going to try to as objective as possible regarding this push as I live through it again, but for the first couple of weeks it is every bit as excruciating to watch as it was on first blush. This guy was a Narcissist cheapshotting people with a metal forearm ONE MONTH AGO, you fucking imbeciles. It made me want to tear my hair out then and the same thing is happening now. At least Hogan had spent some years away after his WWF heel run before returning as a conquering hero.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The angle itself seems like a novel idea, but it's hard to know what to think right now. I'll need to see more.

The main takeaway I have from this is that Gino's gone completely over the edge. Enticing fans to write letters to Tunney asking him to give Luger a title shot is one thing; trying to browbeat them into doing it while slandering Tunney is something else. We know this wasn't his own idea, so I have to wonder if Vince was even then thinking about an evil or obstructionist heel authority figure type. If he was, Jack Tunney's about the worst possible choice he could make. Besides, he's been impartial and stiff on camera for far too long to both get over as a heel and deliver the promos heel authority figures need to deliver.

Did any of you out there ever see or step into the Lex Express? If you did, was Luger with it at the time? I've heard stories that he didn't always go with the bus, which defeats the angle's purpose entirely. I've also heard that some of the other boys resented Luger for having a custom-made bus while they had to bust their asses in order to make commercial flights. I can't exactly blame those who thought that way, especially since Lex's whole push turned out to be such a colossal dud.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-17-WWF-Superstars] Update: Lex Luger