Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-19-WWF-Raw] Lex Express

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think the desperation was in the angle; it was in the man chosen to be its face. Luger's never given a damn about anyone but himself for very long, so to see him as the number one patriot and best hope for America feels wrong. That said, who else was there to both fill the superpatriot role and go after Yoko? Hogan was on his way out, Duggan wasn't a serious contender for anything anymore, and Bret was too busy with Lawler even if you scrap the American hero bit. Savage is just about the only other choice, and he's not the superpatriot type either. To be honest, this looks like something designed for Hogan before he quit, and I'm not sure he wouldn't have pulled it off better, bus and all.

Actually, there is ​one other choice I just thought of: Lawler. I don't know if he could have slammed Yoko believably, and he's not really big enough to be a superman, but instead of attacking Bret over the crown, have him take Hogan's part after the "injury" caused by the exploding camera. Lawler's best character is the Memphis everyman turned king, so instead of making him a dime-store joke book comedian, let him fight for the WWF's honor against Yoko, both in the WWF and the USWA. They could even have done a quickie Memphis belt switch to keep the MSC hot if they wanted. He wouldn't have been champ for long, of course, but it would have been a better story than this turned out to be in the end.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-19-WWF-Raw] Lex Express