Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-09-WWF-Raw] Who Is Lex Luger?

Loss

• 3 months later...

Luger talks about being in the wrong crowd at University of Miami and having to leave the team for disciplinary reasons. This is really well-produced and Luger really comes across as a star. I didn't remember him mentioning Championship Wrestling From Florida.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Luger got in with the wrong crowd at the University of Miami--though one wonders if those '80s Hurricane teams even had a "right crowd." If Luger really had to leave for disciplinary reasons, he must have done some heavy, heavy shit. Lex talks about how he wanted to use football as a stepping stone instead of letting football use him--smart idea, and he clearly had that same attitude with regard to wrestling which as we know now, didn't work out as well for him. A plan to attend Stetson University and get a law degree turned into a tryout with Championship Wrestling from Florida. Two non-WWF promotions mentioned in the span of two weeks, holy shit.

The best of these segments so far. As negative as I've been on this push, none of it is strictly Luger's fault. It's the fault of just about everybody else in the company.

In hindsight, I really wish the WWF had simply hedged their bets a little more before the Stars & Stripes Challenge. Give Luger just a few soundbites announcing his intentions beforehand to slam Yokozuna. Don't have him wave the flag, cut jingoistic promos, or even specifically target Yokozuna--he's still the Narcissist, and let the announcers stress that he's doing it for his own ego. If Hogan sticks around, you can have Luger beg off afterward and pretend it never happened while going through with the initial plans. If Hogan leaves (and they had to know this was at least a possibility even before he dropped the title), go full-bore with Lex and do his turn a little more gradually and with a little bit of his Narcissist attitude left over, until the REAL babyface turn comes when he comes to the aid of a Tatanka or a Duggan or a Crush--just as WCW did in February 1990. Unfortunately I don't think Vince and the WWF was capable of that level of nuance as far as booking and character development at this point.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If you can get past the suddenness of his push, this is a really good way to set up a babyface run for Luger, and because he has a background that can be legitimately used as a cautionary tale and is a fresh face to WWF viewers to boot, this works out better than it most likely would have for Hogan unless you wanted to mention either his AWA days (a possibility under these circumstances, since it was no longer direct competition) or his initial WWF heel run (I don't think Vince would have done that, since it would have been too much of a shock for those who didn't read non-WWF publications).

It still bothers me slightly that there's been no hype for the actual SummerSlam match that we've seen so far. These vignettes are nice, and Larry continues to do a fine job, but we should be getting a lot harder sell for SummerSlam three weeks out. I see the contract signing for the match is coming up soon, so that should kick things into a higher gear.

Some elaborations and corrections on his statements concerning his football career:

The off-field incident Luger referred to which ended his stay at Miami in 1979 was trashing his hotel room because he was disappointed at not being named a starter for the team's game at Georgia Tech.

He never played a down for the Packers and isn't considered a member of the all-time roster; he was on injured reserve for the 1982 season and was cut in training camp the following year. He was, however, the last person to wear Number 66 for the team (in practices, presumably) before it was retired in honor of Hall of Fame linebacker Ray Nitschke.

He was a teammate of Ron Simmons when he played for the USFL's Tampa Bay Bandits in 1984. I have no idea why JR didn't mention this on WCW broadcasts, since he seemingly talked about every other non-wrestling aspect of the wrestlers' lives during the time of the Luger-Simmons feud. It wasn't strictly relevant, but it might have added a little extra fuel to the fire.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-09-WWF-Raw] Who Is Lex Luger?