Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-13-SMW-Hot August Night in Mo-Town] Tracy Smothers vs Brian Lee

Loss

• 3 months later...

I was dreading watching this since aside from a few really good moments, SMW just hasn't inspired me. It's 2011, all wrestling watching for me is from the past, so a nostalgia promotion seems a bit redundant now. Everything you see can be seen done better during an era where they weren't dealing with a wrestling business that had been seriously damaged. I also feel uncomfortable seeing the Confederate flag used as a babyface thing.

But this match surprised me in a positive way. It was really good action and while it didn't last long, you got a good feel for what these guys could do. Smothers has some really fun counters to moves. He seems like the kind of guy whose matches in long feuds probably get better over time when he gets in sync with his opponent and develops even more counters. Lee is also better than I gave him credit for in this match.

Not a great match or even something I'd say is worth going out of your way to see, but really fun and a good addition to the yearbook.

• 2 years later...

All the women in attendance hate Tammy. Smothers does Hogans four sides of audience pose to see which section he will throw his Confederate bandana to. Didn't think much of this though didn't hate it. Was just there for me. I like Smothers but Lee for the most part does grab me. They bring a miner's glove into end of the match. I did like Lee's big bugged eyed reaction when Smothers put the glove on. At least they are trying to show that you wouldn't want to get hit with a one of those which it just looks like a regular glove.

• 3 weeks later...

Genuinely good match good heat--Smothers was tremendous here but Lee, as awkward as he can be, has through some miracle progressed into being a perfectly acceptable worker. Even his chinlocks were well-worked, and Fytch is already a natural at ringside. Just a few months into her career and her timing when it comes to reacting to the action and working interference is already superb. She has Mark Curtis distracted and Lee crawls for his loaded glove--cornerman Tim Horner tries to stop him but gets clobbered from behind with a chair by Chris Candido, but the delay allows Smothers to block the punch and for Mark Curtis to see everything and call for a DQ. Smothers almost gets some payback with the glove (with Lee doing a hilarious bit of begging off) but Fytch saves her man.

• 1 year later...

Smothers is really showing me something this year regardless of where thoughts on the flag stand which looks even more ridiculous given recent events. Fytch and Lee have really turned into an act that I find entertaining and it makes me sort of feel like Lee really got lost in the shuffle and lost his passion overall. A good match with good heat that sets up the rematch the next night. ***1/4

• 1 year later...

This really wasn't a favorite of mine. It's obvious that these two were saving their best for the next night, where they'd be taped for TV. By the time the dueling promos from Tracy and Tammy (neither of which I could hear very well) were over, there was less than ten minutes of ring time, so these two basically brawled a bit and called it a night. Even the finish directly alluded to the match the following night, which stank if you had tickets to this card but not that one. Granted, there would be highlights on SMW TV, but that's not the same as bring there, or at least it shouldn't be.

What really struck me about this match was how well Tammy worked ringside. It's easy to be active when you know you're going to be on TV; the trick is to be just as active when (at least as far as you know) the only people watching are those in the arena. But Tammy worked her heart out here, and she and Mark Curtis could be quite the double act (to the extent that a ref can be, anyway) with a little more experience.

Nice to see Chris for the first time; I wasn't sure he was in SMW quite this early.

If I'm Tracy, I'm regretting my choice of Horner as my cornerman, hometown boy or not. He did absolutely nothing to stop Tammy from running amuck. I understand that he couldn't do much physically, but he didn't even complain to Curtis much about Tammy's various shenanigans. It's almost like he came out solely to get the hometown crowd to pop,

Hopefully these two had a better match for the cameras the following night; given the heat of this feud so far, this match can't be the best one they've got in them.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-13-SMW-Hot August Night in Mo-Town] Tracy Smothers vs Brian Lee