Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-13-SMW-Hot August Night in Mo-Town] Heavenly Bodies & Jim Cornette vs Scott & Steve & Bob Armstrong

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Cornette spends most of the time on the ring apron. Bullet Bob charges after Cornette any time he steps in the ring illegally. More of a standard two on two tag match with the Bodies and Armstrong kids. Cornette does get more involved when he manages. He finally gets in at the end and takes a beating (including Flair flip in the corner) before the Bruise Brothers interfere. Bob goes nuts with a baseball bat after. He was swinging for the fences there.

• 3 weeks later...

Very Warriors vs. Heenan Family at Survivor Series, with Cornette not being quite as masterful as Bobby but with so, so much more awesome offense--from both teams. The Bodies just have ridiculous amounts of cool shit they can do, both in terms of offensive moves and comedy stooge shit on defense. Bullet Bob finally gets his hands on Cornette when the Bruise Brothers attack. The Rock 'n Roll Express come in for the save but are overpowered when one of the Harrises gets the tennis racket. Finally Mark Curtis retrieves a baseball bat--Thank God for unbiased officiating--and Bob takes out the heels one-by-one with it. Really fun match, better than the SMW title bout in fact, and one of the best the company has put on to this point.

• 1 year later...

A big bag of fun here. I thought the Bodies were great when they went on offense and really hit that balance well of stooging early but meaning business and being vicious when they go on the offensive. The Bob vs. Cornette stuff was great and really well built to. SMW is really on a roll right now as everything is seemingly coming together. ***3/4

• 5 months later...

This is primarily a tag match between the boys and the Bodies, with Cornette standing on the apron to avoid The Bullet. They open very fast paced and Steve has looked great since he showed up in Smoky Mountain, in fact this period is probably the best I have ever seen Scott, who when he isn’t talking in jive is not a bad promo in his own right. Considering the history it’s a bit too ‘comedic’ for my liking, but I guessing they are saving the violence, blood and nastiness for the Rage in the Cage. Cornette finally gets involved when Dr Tom has Steve all helpless, it’s not long before he misses an elbow and The Bullet gets tagged in but the Bodies drag him out the ring. The match gets a bit more serious when the Bodies are in control until The Bullet gets the hot tag and he can finally get his hands on Cornette. Bob has him in a sleeper when the Bruise Brothers interfere for the DQ and the five of them go to work on the Armstrong’s, with the Rock & Roll Express eventually making the save. The post-match is more like it with the Bruiser’s waffling everyone in sight with tennis rackets. For some reason Mark Curtis runs from the back with a baseball bat and hands it to The Bullet and the heels all clear the ring.

Very fun house show match. Del Ray is really good in this, and as previously mentioned, so are the Armstrong boys. The non-finishes are really starting to grate at this point (I’m watching all of the TV interspersed with the odd arena match) and no idea what Curtis was playing by getting involved at the end. Hope we get none of this nonsense for Rage in the Cage.

• 8 months later...

Much like the Smothers-Lee match, this was worked as an appetizer for Rage in the Cage the following night. As I said before, that's wonderful if you have tickets for Rage in the Cage; otherwise, you're screwed.

At any rate, Kevin had it right when he said that this was very much a standard tag match between the Armstrong sons and the Bodies. as except for a free shot here and there Bullet Bob only interacted with Corny, which was a bit disappointing. If you're building up to getting in the ring with actual wrestlers, as Bullet Bob is, it would be nice for your fans to see what you can still do against one of them. As for Corny, someone said in another thread that if he'd had any semblance of athletic ability, he might have made a good wrestler. I'm not sure I'd go that ​far, but he knows how to work better than most managers I've seen without letting anyone forget that he still is ​a manager. He looks good doing the choke spots and Irish whips. but the minute someone taps him, it's all over. He actually throws a decent-looking punch, too.

I understand the finish, but I'm not sure I like it. It seems too telegraphed, kind of like one of Vince's pull-aparts just before Survivor Series where everyone on both teams has to get involved just to remind those watching that these are the guys they'll see on pay-per-view. Unlike those matches, this one had some good work, but the finish still left me a bit flat. Fortunately, I'll see Rage in the Cage before too long, so it's not a total loss.

Curtis bringing the baseball bat (I thought it was another tennis racquet at first) might have been a bit of an inside reference, since he'll be getting into the Cowabunga suit to wrestle Corny in several matches throughout the rest of the summer. Of course, most of those in attendance had no earthly idea that it was going to be Curtis in the suit, so if what I just said was true, it was a bad move on Corny's part. Like Magnum said above, most of the crowd probably had no idea what Curtis was doing. Why would a seemingly unbiased referee leave the ring in order to get a weapon for the Armstrongs to beat the Bodies and the Harrises with?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-13-SMW-Hot August Night in Mo-Town] Heavenly Bodies & Jim Cornette vs Scott & Steve & Bob Armstrong