Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-14-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett

Loss

• 3 months later...

This is where the yearbook is awesome. Lawler mentions having a match against Savage at MSG the night before and kicking his butt, and I got to see the handheld. Lawler does yet another great promo. He even says his mother could beat Bret's mother! Sadly, no Helen Hart vs Hazel Lawler handheld could be found.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WMC found themselves a green screen, which they'll be making heavy use of in the weeks to come. Jarrett compares and contrasts Bret calling himself a "King" with Jarrett being dubbed the "New Fabulous One." Jarrett's gotten better on the mic. Lawler regales us with the tale of his match with Savage that we just saw, relishing Howard Finkle's introduction and the negative reaction of the New York crowd.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting that Jeff got in on the Helen Hart bashing, albeit briefly. It's odd to see that part of the feud carry over, but with the way Bret's been acting toward the USWA fans, you could almost say he deserves it.

I'm surprised that Lawler didn't mention his costing Bret the WWF title the night before as well when he interfered in the cage match. Maybe he wanted to keep it simple for the Memphis audience or focus on his own accomplishments, but I would think he would have used that to show that he's already gotten part of his revenge on Bret, with the rest to come at the MSC.

Lawler sounds just like he does in the WWF when he talks about New York City, which is just fine. I love that he's not trying to be all apple-pie and sweet in front of the home folks, most of whom undoubtedly catch his act on ​Superstars​.

Does anyone think that Dave could have been a fit in the WWF if he'd ever wanted to leave Memphis? I don't think he's bombastic enough to do play-by-play, but he'd have been a great replacement for Mean Gene, or at least better than Todd Pettengill.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-14-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett