Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-14-WWF-Superstars] Face to Face: Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quite the loaded card here, actually. This was right when the WWF was going through a roster crunch and going to one house show per night instead of split crews. Shawn laments how he and Razor used to be pals--Razor assures him they can still be amigos, but this is business. This is eerily prescient of the Clique days. Pretty good promos here, actually--Shawn does a good balancing act of being arrogant and also being whiny and cowardly.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I didn't know they ran Hall-Michaels this soon, let alone twice in twelve days in metropolitan New York. I also didn't know that Nash talked this soon. All three men really seem into this, much more than the similar Bret-Yoko interviews, which sounded like they could have been done separately and spliced together except for a couple of lines.

It's interesting that they made such a big deal of Hall and Shawn being friends. We all know how close they were offscreen, but they never ​interacted onscreen while they were both heels. I have a feeling that Vince has transferred Flair's association with Hall over to Shawn for purposes of this feud, as if the marks couldn't remember what had gone on seven months ago just before Flair left.

The stuff about Knicks coach Pat Riley talking to Nash was a neat little inside reference to Nash's real-life basketball career, although if you didn't know that he'd already played basketball you could still buy it due to his height. This is the type of stuff that Gene brought into these segments like no one else in the WWF, and that's why he's one of a kind.

I can buy an occasional double main event, but a triple? That's too many "main events" for one card. Gene didn't even tell us what the third one was. If I had to guess, I'd say Steiners-Shrinkers.

By the way, Hall won the match on a reverse decision after Curt came out to protest Shawn's apparent pinfall win. Shawn and Nash attacked both Hall and Curt afterward, laying them out with spike piledrivers. This didn't lead to a tag match on Long Island, but since MSG and the Meadowlands were so close by, they may have settled the issue at one of those two arenas instead.

EDITED TO ADD: There was no tag match in the New York area, but Curt and Nash had a singles bout at MSG on 9/25. Curt won by DQ when Rick Martel interfered.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-14-WWF-Superstars] Face to Face: Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon