Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-24-ECW-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert & Paul E. Dangerously

Loss

• 3 months later...

"This is not wrestling the way it used to be and the way you like it, oh no, this is wrestling the way it's gonna be and the way we know that you like it. Blood, guts, violence and the best wrestling entertainment you have ever seen in your life."

Between Douglas's debut and the shooty comments, this is slowly starting to resemble ECW.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see how, despite some missteps, ECW had its vision in order from the very beginning, when Terry Funk was repeatedly dropping the word "hardcore." Now we get hype for a bunch of crazy gimmick matches at the ECW Arena, with Paul E. taking a shot at Smoky Mountain in the process. Hype specifically for Eddie Gilbert & Abdullah the Butcher vs. Stan Hansen & Terry Funk. Thank God Gilbert is back to cutting actual promos.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I didn't really like Eddie here, even though it's nice to actually see him hyping a match. This still isn't the Eddie who was so great in Memphis and Mid-South; he's not big enough to be promising to rip Terry Funk's arms out or cripple Stan Hansen, king or no king. He should ​have been talking about hiding behind Abby and about how being king means never having to lay hands on Texas inbred trash like Stan and Terry. I'll be glad when he's gone; everything I hear from him reinforces the notion that he should never have left Memphis.

Paul sounds more like Paul Heyman, ECW owner than Paul E. Dangerously, wrestling manager, and the change is a positive. While I enjoyed Paul on the mic as a mouthpiece and broadcaster, it was as the owner of ECW where he was at his verbal best. He really believed in ECW, even if few others did at first, and his passion comes through the screen, even at this early date. I'm not sure about the shot at SMW, especially since I don't think it was syndicated on the East Coast at all, but the rest of this promo was excellent work.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-24-ECW-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert & Paul E. Dangerously