Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-28-USWA-TV] Interview: Vince McMahon

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God, Vince is such a natural. Yeah, it's a "duh" statement in light of Mr. McMahon, but Vince had clearly wanted to do this for awhile. This Sunday (because of SummerSlam on Monday), Lawler meets Bret in a cage. Vince laughs over Lawler's empty-hearted promise to refund the MSC's money if he didn't hospitalize Paul Neighbors, and then dares Lawler to make the same promise if he can't defeat Bret in the cage on Sunday. I seriously wonder how many people in Memphis immediately became Bret fans upon the announcement of this stip.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

There seems to be so much more on the line in Memphis concerning this feud than in the WWF. I used to think it was just Lawler, but Vince sounds like he's taking the Memphis portion just as seriously. I can't get over the contrast, and I'll bet the Memphians who watched both halves of the feud play out couldn't either.

Vince is so much better as a heel promo when he doesn't raise his voice. I know it was easier for him not to do it when he was in front of a green screen than it was in an arena full of fans, but Mr. McMahon is more effective this way than he was screaming "YOU'RRRREEEE FIIIIIIIRRRRRRED!" all over the place. He probably thought the louder, more bombastic version was necessary for the national stage, but he was dead wrong. That version made me roll my eyes and groan; this one sends shivers down my spine. If it wasn't for Corny, and if he'd appeared at ringside more than once this year so far, Vince may have been my choice for Manager of the Year.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-28-USWA-TV] Interview: Vince McMahon