Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-28-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 3 months later...

Lawler does a great promo against a Caged Kings airbrushed backdrop to hype Bret/Lawler at Mid South Coliseum. Lawler tries to explain being a heel on WWF TV and a babyface on USWA TV as best he can. Another terrific promo from the best interview of '93.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Nothing really new, but the tried and true is still more than enough for right now. It still amazes me that Lawler's able to reconcile his two different sides so well for the Memphis public, because not only is one face and the other heel, but their personalities are a hundred and eighty degrees apart: working-class hero with a bit of a mean streak in Memphis, pompous ass and nearly complete coward in the WWF. Thiey sound different, work different, and even look a little different. Then again, so does Vince.

I loved Dave's reaction to Lawler promising to give everyone their money back if he can't beat Bret, who just might be more of a test than Paul Neighbors. I realize that this would have been impossible to do for a pay-per-view, but I'd have liked to see Bret make a similar promise for SummerSlam. Maybe they could have limited it to the greater Memphis area, since it was there that Lawler made his original promise.

The green screens are looking good, even if they're a bit out of place in Memphis. To be honest, both the USWA and SMW aren't that far away from the Big Two production-wise, although part of that's due to the WWF scaling back so much.

I know we probably won't see this, but since this MSC card is on a Sunday, can they please bring Dave in to call it? There's no other promotion ever that's had such a dropoff between their TV and their arena footage, and it's almost entirely due to the utter void of incompetence that is Corey Maclin.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-28-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler