Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-04-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Lex Luger

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The spin on this is amazing. Summerslam was the thrill of a lifetime for Lex. A honor to represent USA and challenge for the Title. You did not win the Title! Vince mentions that Yokozuna retained Title and Lex has this awkward chuckle as a response. Like no shit I look like an idiot smiling and celebrating a count out win.

• 2 weeks later...

SUMMERSLAM WAS THE GREATEST THRILL, HONOR, AND PRIVILEGE OF LEX LUGER'S ATHLETIC CAREER and ohbythewayYokozuna'sstillthechampion and LUGER HASN'T LOST ANYTHING. "Somehow, deep in my soul, I know I will someday be World Wrestling Federation champion, just as soon as I can land a rematch with my good buddy Mr. Perfect officiating it." Kevin noting Luger's awkward chuckling response is letter-perfect. Lex's big grin at the end reeks of doth protesting too much, too.

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse, but the only thing keeping this from being as nauseating as the Sgt. Slaughter "I Want My Country Back" stuff is that it's less exploitative. It's still every bit as manipulative and insulting to the intelligence of anyone who had been paying attention to the company for more than 3 months--i.e., the very fans they were trying to cater to with things like long 2/3 fall TV matches and house show title changes.

• 1 year later...

The aftermath is really poor here. All Luger really had to say was that he was glad to hammer Yoko but the job wouldn't be done until he had the belt so therefore in his eyes he failed to an extent and he is vowing he wont fail again if given the opportunity. Instead we get a unrealistic spin that just hurts Luger in all facets.

• 1 year later...

The problem was, he knew that he wouldn't ​be getting another opportunity. That was made to be the whole selling point of the match at SummerSlam. Now that he knows he won't be champion for a good long time, if ever, what is there left to do but laugh and say "Aw, shucks"? Well, that and act as if the title's secondary to the support of the fans and his own belief in God, neither of which is believable for one second.

The thing was, Vince had to know that telling the story this way would go over like a lead balloon. He was too smart not ​to know it. So the question becomes, "Why do this to your new supposed lead babyface?" I can't figure a good answer for that, except that Vince thought that stealing and promoting Luger was a slap in the face to WCW, never stopping to realize that WCW was overjoyed to be rid of Luger after his title reign fizzled out so completely.

I still maintain that Vince somehow learned about Luger making a mess of that reign and was determined to show him what it would have been like to be champion without him ever getting the title. I know that sounds far-fetched, but this whole setup was too well-planned and executed to simply be a brain fart or a blown opportunity. I guess the bigger question is why Luger, who by his own admission didn't need to be a wrestler financially, agreed to sit still for it.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-04-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Lex Luger