Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-04-WWF-Superstars] Ludvig Borga vignette

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why are we getting Borga vignettes now when he's already debuted? I don't know why I'm filled with Python references today but Borga is dressed like the Gumbies--I expect him to put a handkerchief on his head and smash two bricks together. I guiltily confess to somewhat liking Borga back in the day, even though he's an objectively terrible wrestler and the idea of a Finn as a foreign menace is comical on its surface.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought I was going to see something pathetic here, but Borga is actually pretty good. The provlem is, who can take Finland seriously as an enemy of the United States? The only time we even think about Finland is duting the Winter Olympics, where we always seem to play them in hockey. That's as close to being an "ememy" as Finland gets. If the Cold War had still been going on, Halme would have made an ideal Russian to take what had been Volkoff's place, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Vince apparently wanted to make Luger into a latter-day Sarge, who always fights the good fight for America. The problem is, his only real foreign menace type is the guy Luger couldn't take the title from at SummerSlam. At this point, it might have been best to end the American hero stuff and just have Luger be a regular babyface, although that still leaves the problem of who to pit him against.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-04-WWF-Superstars] Ludvig Borga vignette