Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-04-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler / Interview: Vince McMahon

Loss

• 3 months later...

They show the finish of the Bret/Lawler cage match, then cut to an interview with Lawler. Lawler brags about beating Bret two nights in a row and now being the undisputed king of the WWF. They show a taped Vince interview, which is predictably outstanding, and even includes a Jim Nabors impersonation! Lawler says before he is through, there will be more WWF names on his list, and he'll start with Giant Gonzales.

• 2 years later...

Jerry glosses over the particulars of how he won match at Summerslam but declares himself the true King of Wrestling. More great stuff from Vince. Trying to get the people of Memphis to turn on Jerry and see him the way everyone else does outside the territory. McMahon promises a big problem for Lawler with Giant Gonzales. Tough task for Lawler to get a match out of that guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Lawler has obtained two victories over Bret Hart in two days. Lawler rubs it in Vince's face--hey, a win's a win, even a reverse-decision DQ with a stretcher job.

Vince is aghast that he's been accused of having something to do with Giant Gonzalez's interference last Sunday. SURPRAHS, SURPRAHS, SURPRAHS!

If anyone can drag something good out of Gonzalez, Lawler is the man.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My favoritr part was Lawler saying that Vince knew all along that Bret would win at King of the Ring. Oh, if the people of Memphis had only been aware of how true that was...........

It's hard to believe, but Vince is out-talking Lawler here. I've said it before: This ​is how Mr. McMahon should have been portrayed. The cold, calculating, Machiavellian manipulator is infinitely more detestable than the goofy clown who bellows, "YOU'RE FIRRRREEEEED!" at the top of his lungs two or three times a show. Of course​ he sent Gigante after Lawler. Why wouldn't he send the biggest weapon at the WWF's disposal to cripple one of its most vocal enemies? Even if he's not supposed to be the owner, being the lead announcer it would make sense that he'd be tight with those in power, who certainly could have authorized him to be the front man for their campaign to protect Bret and cripple Lawler.

I didn't know Gigante and Lawler had ever been partners, either in Memphis or the WWF proper. Knowing Vince, he could have made that up to fit with the whole "Everyone's wising up to the real ​Lawler" routine.

As usual, Lawler admits that he may be unpopular everywhere else, but that doesn't matter as long as the Memphis fans still believe in him, which they undoubtedly do. I continue to marvel at his ability to spin some of the terrible things he's done to Bret and others to his advantage with the hometown fans. Of course, it helps that there's no real competition for the crown, as Jeff's the only one within shouting distance of Lawler's popularity in Memphis, and even that's more a primal scream from a mountaintop half a world away than a shout.

Two people whom I'd love to see in this angle on the WWF's side: Gino and Jack Tunney. Tunney's just stodgy enough to really get up Lawler's nose, and I'd love to hear Gino cut a heel promo just once, since he never got a chance to talk when he was actually a heel.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-04-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler / Interview: Vince McMahon