Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-04-USWA-TV] Tommy Rich and Jeff Jarrett

Loss

• 3 months later...

Tommy Rich does an interview dressed in a suit while standing in a bathroom because Jeff Jarrett can relate to a bathroom (??) Anyway, he flushes the toilet and says that's what he's going to do to Jeff when he gets to the USWA. Rich avoids pronouns like the plague and Jarrett does in his response too. Must be because Vince was in the area at the time. Rich blindsides Jarrett and there we go.

• 2 years later...

Tommy Rich dressed up all nice doing his promo in a bathroom. Ah, he has a reason to be there. He is ready to flush Jeff Jarrett down the toilet. Jarrett now wearing his Double J ring gear. Rich attacks Jarrett while he was doing an interview and works on the ribs. I wonder who has the worst kicks. Paul Bearer or Bert Prentice.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich, in a bathroom, points out that Jerry Jarrett quit wrestling when Tommy Rich showed up and took away all of his girls. Good promo even if the setting is a little forced.

Jeff Jarrett rebuts before quickly being jumped by Tommy (Thomas) Rich. Long beatdown follows while Bert Prentice rants to Corey Macklin.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The brawl was fabulous (no pun intended), but it's hard to believe that we're only a few months away from Double J. Jeff still doesn't know how to cut a decent fired up promo after all these years. Here Tommy attacks his father and the Jarrett family name, claiming that Papa quit wrestling when he couldn't use his career to pick up young girls, and the closest thing we get to a threat is "You're challenging for the title, and that's all ​you're doing"? What does the upcoming match have to do with what Tommy said? Is it true or not? Jeff didn't have to go into detail, but he needed to deny the allegations forcefully, and he didn't. It's like he hadn't seen Tommy's promo and had no idea how to respond to it, so he just ignored it.

It's interesting that Tommy referenced his past in the York Foundation and wore a suit. He looked much more heelish doing it in Memphis than he ever did in Atlanta. I could have done without Prentice, who still doesn't impress me one bit as a manager. I understand that they needed a heel mouthpiece, but surely they could have done better than him.

Once and for all, Corey, heels don't have to "get outta here" just because you say so. If you want them out so bad, get your ass in the ring and try and drive them out yourself. Lance and Dave did the same schtick, of course, but they didn't sound like whiny little brats when they did it. I would have died laughing if Bert had said to him, "Of course we're not supposed to be out here! That's the idea, idiot!"

I know Lawler's got other things on his mind, but since he's still Jeff's partner, and since he and Tommy had one of the most famous feuds in Memphis history, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make an appearance in this feud before all's said and done.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-04-USWA-TV] Tommy Rich and Jeff Jarrett