Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-11-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

They are getting a lot of use out of the green screen in studio. More Lawler trying to explain his act on WWF TV as Vince uses bodyguards during commentating for WWF to protect himself from Jerry. Lawler does not ever remember the Indians winning. Must sting for him to say that as Cleveland Indians fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that even Memphis is sticking to referring to Vince only as "the voice of the WWF," though I think almost everyone knew what was really up. Lawler drops the bombshell that he, Vince, and Savage do voiceovers from a studio and not the arena! They really seem to be building to Lawler vs. Vince in the ring here, which would have been so awesome to see.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to disagree with Pete; Lawler-Vince wouldn't have been awesome at all. If Vince had gotten more than a few shots in or lasted more than a minute, Lawler would have been ruined for good in Memphis, and I don't say that lightly.

I think Lawler spilled the beans about the WWF's announcing being done at Titan Towers to show the USWA fans that the WWF was inferior. At least our ​guys show up live at ringside and call the action as it's really happening! Can the so-called New York bigshots say that?

I liked the image of Vince trying to call wrestling matches surrounded by off-duty cops and paid bodyguards. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened at some point, although I wouldn't think he ever needed three of each.

Lawler seems to be treating Tatanka as a joke, literally. Usually I wouldn't mind that, but even though most Memphis fans have probably seen him on TV, they haven't seen or heard from him on their ​show, so if Lawler dismisses him so cavalierly and saves his real venom for Vince, why shouldn't the fan who has to spend his or her money carefully wait until a night when Vince actually is scheduled to show up? That's when the real ​action figures to take place. Maybe they should have had Tatanka come down and wrestle a squash match, then cut a promo so the fans could see and hear right in their own backyard what their King was up against. (For some reason, Tatanka is the only WWF Lawler opponent thus far not to send in a promo.)

For everyone's information, Lawler's crack about the cowboys always beating the Indians except during football season was only half right. The Cowboys and Redskins split their two meetings that year, and the Cowboys went on to win Super Bowl XXVIII.

No, Pete. But remember, in the end it was Kaufman who was put in the neck brace and takem out the arena on a stretcher. Sure he came back a few times and got some "revenge" of a sort, but Lawler established his dominance first. I don't see Vince taking a couple of piledrivers and doing a stretcher job, then going away for a few months to lick his wounds, especially since Lawler was his employee, at least on a part-time basis.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-11-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler