Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-11-WAR] Genichiro Tenryu vs Ashura Hara

Loss

• 4 months later...

Really hard-hitting match. The camera angle for this handheld is really good and picks up the stiffness of the action very well. Tenryu chops Hara very, very hard, and Hara sells from underneath for most of this. He makes a few good comebacks before Tenryu barely cinches in a powerbomb to put him away. Loved this.

• 2 years later...

Tough life for a wrestler. Very stiff by both guys but Tenryu was laying in more shots on Hara. Tenryu is also a dick by chopping Hara in the throat a few times. Hara's upper chest area looked really beat up as match went on. Two guys really beating the crap out of each other with the audio picking it up perfectly. Strong match.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll see some filthy, filthy mats during lucha matches in Monterey, but holy shit, this one is a new level. I wouldn't take bumps on that thing in a full hazmat suit. This is a stiff, gritty, underground-type fight befitting of its setting--just two tough old bastards beating the shit out of each other. If you're looking for heavy psychology or meaningful transitions, look somewhere else--but this was a fun fight to watch.

• 3 years later...

I saw something completely different from the rest of you, I guess. I saw Tenryu throwing his hardest shots and Hara barely bothering to sell them. I saw Hara throwing nothing but headbutts and clotheslines. That made the match choppy (as in too much stopping and starting) and dull. Also, the camera angle stank, with each man being completely cut off from view at times; luckily, we didn't miss anything worth mentioning. I didn't hear the chops, either. In fact, I heard next to nothing (although that could be because I have a fan going in my room).

Stiffness or not, I could have lived quite nicely without ever seeing this. Why the hell were they fighting, anyway? I thought they were on the same side.

• 3 months later...

Meat and Potatoes wrestling. This match helps build the case for Tenryu as GOAT because this was a decent house show but nothing extraordinary and it wasn't being filmed for tv. That said, Tenryu still brought a ton of stiffness and effort to the match and the handheld angle was great making it feel like we are getting a birds eye view of it all. This was like a local steak from a restaurant in that the meat is a little fatty but the taste is still great. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1993-11-11-WAR] Genichiro Tenryu vs Ashura Hara