Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-13-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm still not ready to say that I enjoy heel Lawler as much as I do face Lawler, but he's been a lot better than I thought he'd be in his WWF promo work so far. I'd rate it far above the suff he did in 1990 Memphis, that's for sure.

I take it that whoeverr Doink was by now, it wasn't Matt Borne, and that's too bad. Once he left, I remember Doink as more of a clown who was a wrestler than as a wrestler who happened to dress like a clown. The difference between the two is night and day.

I'm guessing that Bret asked for some time off after Survivor Series, which is why he wasn't on this card. I'm a bit surprised that he'd skip MSG, of all places, but that's mostly because Vince is promoting this as a supercard. If he was still running MSG monthly, wrestlers missing months here and there wouldn't be a big deal.

This match never took place due to Lawler's legal problems; Shawn Michaels substituted and beat Doink by pinfall. Here's the full result from Graham's site:

Shawn Michaels pinned Doink the Clown with the superkick at 8:18 after Doink became distracted by Bam Bam Bigelow at ringside; Michaels came out in possession of his own WWF IC Title belt, with him then telling ring announcer Howard Finkel that he should be referred to as champion but that this is a non-title bout; late in the bout, Luna Vachon came ringside, with Doink kissing her leading to Bigelow coming out; after the bout, Bigelow & Luna double teamed Doink for several minutes; moments later, Bigelow went to hit the headbutt off the top only for Doink to trip Luna and Bigelow hit Luna with the headbutt instead; Doink then returned to the ring and doused her with a pail of water to revive her, with Bigelow then tripping over himself to try to get at Doink as Doink left ringside

​Four ​main events on a seven-match card? I understand an occasional double main event, but when over half of your matches are main events, that means that none of them really are.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-11-13-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Jerry Lawler