Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-22-AJPW-Super Power Series] Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi & Toshiaki Kawada vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Masa Fuchi & Akira Taue

Loss

The one major thing thing I took away from this is that every big nearfall at the end was a move that that person had finished off that victim with before. Every single one. Add that to the multitude of other awesome stuff. Also, in case anyone was unaware they did a run-through of this match with Ogawa in Taue's spot on 4/19/92 to finish the tour before. It's not as good, but well worth the time.

• 11 months later...

There's not much to add, as another poster said about half a page ago. This was a tremendous match, and a fitting if unintended end to the six-man series between these two sides, at least as far as the Yearbooks are concerned.

What stood out to me was the feeling of all six men going all out to win. These guys have all had enough of each other, and they want to end each others' careers and move on with their own. The first few of these were relatively respectful, but that's all past now. They cared nothing about rules anymore; they just wanted to win by any means necessary. There were more saves and countersaves in this match than in any ten other AJPW matches put together, and that helped ensure that the crowd stayed molten hot. Loss did a tremendous job breaking the match down into its parts, and Misawa, Kawada, and Taue were the MVPs of this for withstanding their respective beatings and coming back to be key players in the remainder of the bout.

I liked the ending, as Misawa's side finally got the once-and-for-all victory they needed so badly. I know it wasn't intended to be that way, and that Jumbo's illness prevented at least a few more showdowns like this, but as things stand it was a fitting blowoff. All that's left of the feud on the Yearbook now are three (I think) tag matches, one of which comes in June and another of which is Jumbo's final Yearbook appearance in October.

The only one to get short shrift in this match is Kobashi, who was only in for a few minutes here and there. Was that the plan or were they covering up an injury? He looked good when he was in, by the way.

This may be the best in-ring feud I've ever seen, and it's a shame that Jumbo's illness forced it to end before its time. I'm looking forward to the last few tag matches.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Crazy good match. Just nonstop action through all 35 minutes or so that we have on footage. Wonderful heel tactics from Jumbo's team especially all the team ups on the ropes. Loved that it paid off with the faces getting their shots in on the ropes as well. Tsuruta as the spoiler heel played his role to absolute perfection. Misawa is a historically good hot tag. Taue played a good heel despite being somewhat sympathetic during his own heat segment. Then you have a classic All Japan finishing stretch filled with big moves, tense nearfalls, and topping it all off with an amazingly memorable finish. Amazing.

****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1992-05-22-AJPW-Super Power Series] Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi & Toshiaki Kawada vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Masa Fuchi & Akira Taue
  • 4 months later...

This is probably my favorite of the 6-man tags these fellas had against each other throughout the years. All of the segments in this one rule big time (Misawa FIP, Kawada FIP, Taue getting his ass kicked by the babyfaces, finishing stretch) & the heels vs. babyfaces dynamic is pretty damn amazing. All three heels deliver great performances, but Jumbo in particular is the biggest dick he can in this one - just constantly coming in & breaking holds by the babyfaces, stomping & beating the crap out of them. Might be my favorite performance of his. Kawada was also terrific w/ his usual Kawada-badassery - great selling & work on the offense by the man. Loved the moment when he went to double team Taue on the corner first w/ Kobashi & then w/ Misawa as the ref was arguing with Jumbo & Fuchi; he made the dicks taste their own medicine. ****3/4

• 1 year later...

On yet another rewatch I still love this.  The crowd HATES TAUE so bad.  He looks at a babyface funny and he gets booed.  The punishment and then antagonization of Fuchi (and Fuchi's later revenger) by Kawada were fucking great.  Fuchi's expression when he was heeling it up on Kawada was priceless.

The later year of the Jumbo/Misawa era of AJPW is my favorite in-ring acton-wise.  Everyone knew their role so well and played it to perfection.