Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-04-02-WWF-Wrestlemania XI] Bam Bam Bigelow vs Lawrence Taylor

Loss

• 1 month later...

They did a pretty good job of laying this out. I guess Patterson was in the ring in case things went awry. I guess it made sense at the time because Bigelow was supposed to get a big push, but in hindsight, he should have won this match. I always thought LT coming in and winning made it seem like anyone could be a pro wrestler.

• 5 months later...

I always thought LT coming in and winning made it seem like anyone could be a pro wrestler.

At least he was an athlete. No better example of that statement than Jay Leno twisting Hogan's arm at a biker rally on PPV.

Just as an aside, and since I can't be bothered to make a thread of it's own out of it, is it fair to say this might be the worst WrestleMania ever?

They did a pretty good job of laying this out. I guess Patterson was in the ring in case things went awry. I guess it made sense at the time because Bigelow was supposed to get a big push, but in hindsight, he should have won this match. I always thought LT coming in and winning made it seem like anyone could be a pro wrestler.

By that same token, try selling the idea to an NFL Hall of Famer that "we want you to come in for the biggest show of the year so you can lose to a guy with a tattooed skull".

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a pretty fun spectacle, I admit. Chris Spielman is a local institution here in Columbus so seeing Lucha Spielman almost bust out a plancha was pretty cool. So is Bam Bam making a move toward Salt 'n Pepa. LT does work pretty hard, and it helps to be in the ring with Bam Bam, who's not only a pro but can do a lot of offense (the moonsault, falling headbutts) that requires his opponent to do nothing but lie there. I don't think Bam Bam was killed by this job, but it might have helped for LT to win on botched Corporation interference or something, to give him a better out than he had.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-04-02-WWF-Wrestlemania XI] Bam Bam Bigelow vs Lawrence Taylor
  • 2 years later...

Although I question the logic of feeding a credible heel to a celebrity non-wrestler, Bam Bam did a wonderful job of getting something worthwhile against a football player with zero experience.  The NFL players and the remaining members of the Million Dollar Corporation standing around the ring and cheering their guy made this feel like a bigger deal, and we even get a rare look at pre-WCW Steve McMichael. This was very simple stuff, with Bigelow in the driver's seat for the majority of the match. Bam Bam nails his moonsault, but hurts his knee. The beating on L.T continues until he's able to mount a comeback and football tackles him multiple times to win. 
★★