Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-05-03-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Psicosis

Loss

• 1 month later...

What a weird match. I'm not really sure where to start, but I'll try. There's way too much great stuff to call this a bad match. There's way too much weird stuff to call this a great match. I'm not sure how it ends up. It's like someone took a great match, added in sprinkles of other stuff that is also great but has nothing to do with anything, then threw it all in a blender and out came this match. Psicosis beats Santo two straight, which is tough to buy considering Santo's stardom. The matwork exchanges are pretty awesome, but they don't really go anywhere worthwhile. They spend a lot time with Santo applying the headscissors and Psicosis trying to get out of it. All the counters and attempted counters are tremendous fun, but this doesn't really jive with the match results. Why is Santo dominating almost all of this match if Psicosis is going over in two straight falls and just kicking out of everything? Don't those two things contradict each other? Great wrestling -- really great wrestling -- in terms of execution, but an actively bad layout that I don't get at all.

Been a bit too long since I last watched this to recall a ton of details but I know I didn't have/notice the same problems you did with the match and def recall it being pretty great.

Why is Santo dominating almost all of this match if Psicosis is going over in two straight falls and just kicking out of everything? Don't those two things contradict each other?

Not really.

Just speaking in terms of generalities, wrestler A kicks wrestler B's butt but B never gives up and perseveres to pull out the giant comeback/upset win is a pretty common story in wrestling.

Going over Santo in two straight falls is a big deal. It means they wanted to put Psicosis over strong.

So if they wanted to put Psicosis over strong, laying out the match where he's being outsmarted at every turn is silly.

It's not really overcoming the odds, it's more that I thought Psicosis didn't get the milage from the win that he should have.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I would suspect that Santo dominating so much was a concession to him that had to be made. It's not uncommon for a guy doing a clean job, especially to a guy "beneath" him to control most of the offense--whether that match is in the U.S., Japan, or Mexico. That said, yes, Psicosis' two wins both kind of look like flukes, and the fact that in the first fall he taps Santo to his own submission hold is sort of glossed over when you'd think that could be put over as a huge deal. Still, the action here is tremendous and these two-straight-fall victories are a necessity sometimes, just to keep the average 2nd fall from being the most predictable thing ever. It's sort of a wonky layout, but understandably so. I think I'm the high vote on how good this match is.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-05-03-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Psicosis