Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-01-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Martel

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Piper's dig at Jim Bakker is kind of eye-rolling but his shot at Steven Seagal makes me laugh. Martel brings out Arrogance in a Magi prop nicked from a church nativity play. Martel makes a LOT statements relating to vision/seeing/eyes...this would come off as incredibly cryptic normally but I think we all know where this is going.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I can see (oh, am I on a roll!) the seeds being planted for the Jake feud here, but it would have meant more if Jake's name, or any wrestler's name for that matter, had been name-checked. As it was, this whole segment seemed to lead to nothing if you didn't have the benefit of foresight (these are too easy, intended or not).

Vince doesn't know whether to play along with Piper here or not; he laughs along with the Steven Seagall joke, even initiates one about Piper having a more powerful potion than Arrogance, but seems embarrassed by the Jim Bakker references. These shows were taped before SummerSlam, so Piper was sort of a tweener character-wise. If he'd been left this way, he would have been great.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

The camera pans to a fan in the audience wearing a quality looking Brother Love costume complete with red face, before we go to the man himself. His guest this week is ‘The Model’ Rick Martel looking very dapper, and with Roddy Piper saying that he’s going for the ‘Steven Seagal’ look. Love welcomes ‘Brother Model’ to the show and tells him that he does love the smell of Arrogance. Martel tells him that Arrogance isn’t just a fragrance, it’s also a way of life. It’s the most powerful potion in the world! He then pulls ‘model vision’ (some sort of mirror contraption) out of his jacket pocket so he can appreciate his beauty and profile wherever he goes. He says that scent is very important, but vision is everything and there is nothing more important than vision. Seeing is believing, and as you can see, he has it all!

Is this the start of the Jake Roberts angle? I know the feud culminated with the blindfold match at Wrestlemania VII so did it really start this far out? Martel is great in his gimmick, but this was just meh and felt like something to fill time. If it is the start of the feud, then fair play. Piper and McMahon were making comments as this segment was going on, but it was tricky to make out what they were saying.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-01-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Martel