Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-01-USWA-Championship Sports] Steve Austin, Jeannie Clarke & Percy Pringle and Chris Von Erich, Chris & Toni Adams

Loss

• 2 months later...

As I said, the cage match makes a good pretend blowoff for the feud. Jeanne has a broken hand and promises to sue Toni for damages. They are hyping an Austin/Adams chain match the following Friday night. Pringle calls Adams a "Slimy Limey". Apparently, them's fightin' words, as Adams and Toni come out. Toni lowblows Pringle and the women are brawling all over the place and we have another great scene. Toni tears out more of Jeanne's hair.

After a commercial break, Adams explains the stips of the chain match. Good promo.

Later in the show, Chris and Toni are back out bragging about Jeanne's lost hair. They are gloating so much that it's obvious we are about to get an angle. Austin, Pringle and Jeanne are out to attack them. Percy hits Adams with a 2x4, then Jeanne hits Toni in the stomach with the bell ringer before choking her. Toni gets tied to a chair in the ring and they are about to start cutting her hair until Adams chases them off with a chair. You think it's over, but Percy hits Adams with a chair from behind and they get beaten down again. Now, all of Chris's hair gets cut off. Toni finally runs them off by hitting Austin with the bell ringer.

I will miss this awesome feud.

• 2 weeks later...

Craig Johnson name-checks The National--the Frank Deford-edited sports paper that had one Dave Meltzer in its employ. Meanwhile Jeannie shows off x-rays of her broken hand, but is more upset about Toni yanking her hair, and follows up with more alimony threats. Really good stuff from Jeannie here. Now it'll be Austin vs. Adams in a chain match and this probably isn't a necessary addition to the feud. Chris & Toni are out yet again but this time they retain the upper hand on the heels. Percy eats a low blow and chairshot, Austin a superkick, and Jeannie loses more hair.

The war has only just begun. That's what I was afraid of. The Adams promo is interrupted, as Percy and Austin do a number on him with a wooden club. Toni gets nailed in the perpetually injured ribs with the timekeeper's hammer. Toni gets tied to a chair and Percy is about to give her a trim when Chris recovers and runs the heels off...until Percy downs him with a chairshot and it's Chris who gets his hair cut.

By God, they've gotten me interested in where this goes yet again. This seems to be building to a hair vs. hair stip, possibly involving the valets, that we won't ever see. That sounds like a hot ticket and it'd be interesting to see how the promotion would weasel their way out of the payoff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeannie will be suing Toni for what she did to her hair. New stipulation Chris is looking for a chain match with Austin. I think he is going to request every single possible match for this feud. Jeannie and Toni go at it. The whole time this is going on, Jeannie is holding her lawyer’s letter and doctor’s xrays. More hair ripping by Toni. Jeannie may need Gilbert’s secret hair formula before this is all over.

Toni might be as crazy as Chris with her carrying around Jeannie’s hair. Jeannie hits Toni with the bell ringer. Austin does the same to Chris. Heels tease cutting Toni’s hair but Chris saves. But he ends up getting his hair cut instead.

• 2 years later...

This was a good way to restart the feud and start the buildup to what had to have been a final hair match, probably a mixed match. I'm the first one to squawk and Chris and Toni being beaten to a pulp with no help, and the bell hammer was a bit hardcore to be used as a weapon in a televised angle, but given that Chris and Toni triumphed so decisively in the cage, then came out to crow about it, they had to put the heat back on Austin and company someway.

Typical of Jeannie to be more worried about her ripped-out hair than her broken hand. I'll miss her on the mic. Also, a great display of tenacity on her part to hold on to her documents while Toni was beating on her and ripping her hair out. I guess Steve isn't the only tough one in that family!

Nice to see that Jeannie got a writeup in The National. I'm guessing that her and Austin's talent got Meltzer's attention, as well it should have.

As for how Jarrett would have handled the hair match, I'm betting that Percy would have ended up taking the haircut for the heels in the end unless Jeannie was so dedicated to the business that she volunteered to have her head shaved instead. I don't think Vince would have been too happy with that outcome, though. Could you imagine a bald Paul Bearer?

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-01-USWA-Championship Sports] Steve Austin, Jeannie Clarke & Percy Pringle and Chris Von Erich, Chris & Toni Adams