Pro Wrestling Only

Round #1, Second Four Matches

Loss

Vote for the team that you feel had the best run as a tag team from 1985 to 2005. Voting will last approximately 24 hours and the winner of each match will advance to the second round. Because the goal of the tournament is to promote discussion, please feel free to explain how you came to your decision as much as possible.

Match #5 - Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko v New Age Outlaws

Match #6 - Demolition v Outsiders

Match #7 - Doom v Powers of Pain

Match #8 - Dream Team (Valentine/Beefcake) v Public Enemy

I don't remember *many* standout matches involving Benoit & Malenko, but I do remember Spring Stampede 99 versus Raven & Saturn and how much I loved that match. That may have been Raven's greatest match ever, and certainly was one of Saturn's best. The Outlaws were never nearly as good as workers as Benoit & Malenko, inspite of their run probably being the best of Billy Gunn's career up until the WWF tried to give him a singles push in 99. The New Age Outlaws summed up the tag division in the WWF as a whole, with not much in the way of work being there, with gimmicks standing out more. Considering who was writing for the WWF at the time, that shouldn't shock too many people.

Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko

This is a tough call here. As a fan growing up in Ontario who had much access to WWF programming, I have many fond memories of Demolition. They weren't great workers, but as someone who originally had no access to anything else (including the Road Warriors) I'll admit to finding their image incredibly awesome. Of course, through magazines and eventual other footage, I learned about the Road Warriors and how they came first, but I still look back at Demolition with those same fond memories. They had some fun feuds with the Brain Busters, the Hart Foundation, etc. The Outsiders had a greater impact on wrestling, but didn't bring nearly as much to the table as far as good tag team wrestling goes. I may be in the minority here, but I'm going with Demolition here, because one of their members didn't contribute to the demise of a once-strong company, plus I just simply enjoyed them more.

Demolition

Damn, both these teams had somewhat insignificant runs, from what I remember. Like Windham/Rhodes, I remember watching Doom back when I first got into WCW and, for some reason, loved Ron Simmons at the time. I don't remember much of the quality of their matches, but both members have also had solid singles careers, including a WCW World title run by Simmons. The Powers Of Pain haven't been nearly as fortunate, and, due to the lack of quality opposition they faced (except for a brief feud with the Rockers) probably didn't have as good of matches. Going with Doom here, due to the little amount of knowledge I have of either team giving them the slight edge.

Doom

Well, I've always liked one participant of this bunch. Can you guess who? If you already aren't sure, put it this way: The Valentine/Beefcake combo at least hid Beefcake's ever-glaring weaknesses thanks to Valentine still being a solid enough worker in his waning years. They had some fine matchups with the British Bulldogs in their run too. The Public Enemy? Well, as far as I'm concerned, the less said, the better. Typical ECW garbage brawling tag team.

Dream Team

Match #5 - Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko

Match #6 - Demolition

I'm no fan of either, but at least Demolition got carried to some good matches by the Harts and the Rockers.

Match #7 - Doom

Match #8 - Dream Team (Valentine/Beefcake)

Marty said everything I would have said in the way of explanations. I just also wanted to make the point that Hall and Nash are one of the *worst* tag teams of all time and totally killed the belts in WCW by never defending them and pursuing separate interests most of the time.

Match #5 - Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko

Match #6 - Demolition

Match #7 - Doom

Match #5 - New Age Outlaws

More memorable matches/angles. Benoit and Malenko were just two good singles workers that we're paired up for the sake of being a team. The Outlaws WERE a tag team and for that matter, they were also the most influential team in 1998.

Match #6 - Demolition

Match #7 - Doom

Guest teke184

New Age Outlaws win because of their extreme popularity as well as the fact that they had some good matches against Funk and Foley, amongst others.

I don't know how long Benoit and Malenko were together in comparison or if they had another classic match besides the Spring Stampede one against Raven and Saturn.

Demolition wins because they were dominant without completely destroying the tag division.

Doom actually had some good matches, so they win.

The Dream Team wins because, like Doom, they actually had good matches. Public Enemy was highly overrated.

Guest Some Guy

Benoit and Malenko. Although I really enjoyed Road Dogg's mic work in 98, Benoit and Malenko are two of my favorite workers,.

Demo in a walk.

Doom.

Dream Team. I like Valentine, I hate Public Enemy.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

The NAO never did anything for me. Ever.

Me vote for Kevin Nash in something? What are you, drunk?

Better workers, better team, better manager.

Does it look like a vote for PE would swing things?

I just also wanted to make the point that Hall and Nash are one of the *worst* tag teams of all time and totally killed the belts in WCW by never defending them and pursuing separate interests most of the time.

Come on Loss, don't you know they had IMPACT~! ? ;-)

Match #5 -- Benoit and Malenko. The New Age Outlaws represent everything I dislike about wrestling.

Match #6 -- Demolition. Much more fun to watch and their top stuff against the Rockers and Hart Foundation I'll take over Hall and Nash.

Match #7 -- Not sure about this. I'm going with Doom.

Match #8 -- Dream Team

As much as I would like to vote for Benoit and Malenko, the Outlaws had more success and more longevity.

The Outsiders were probably better draws, but some of Demolition's feuds (aside from the Colossal Connection) still hold up. It's painful watching tapes of Outsiders matches.

The Powers were around longer but never held a title together. A nine month reign as World Tag Team Champions overrules longevity as a team.

Maybe if I had seen ECW on a regular basis a year earlier I'd have voted differently, but their ECW reigns are simply too far off the radar for me to vote for them.

Match #5 - New Age Outlaws. As has been said, Benoit & Malenko didn't team enough. Outlaws performed better than the sum of their parts.

Match #6 - Demolition. Outsiders were bigger stars but realky, Demoltion was oh so much fun.

Match #7 - Doom. Haven't seen much of them, but what I have was good. Can't say that for PoP.

Match #8 - Public Enemy. Pretty much wins by default due to lack of exposure to the Dream Team.